▫️Shaky Ground▫️

💞Trinity💞

"Earthquake," he exclaims as he flails his arms while the rest of us call out in fear. Ben whimpers as he presses his back to the tree trunk and Brooklynn throws her arms around the tree to try and keep standing. I drop to my knees as a rough shake makes me lose my footing. I hear Sammy whimper and look over to see her falling.

Yaz immediately moves to her side and helps her back up. Familiar screeching sounds above us and I look up, letting out a scream when I see the pteranodons diving down towards us. Sammy pulls her best friend down to avoid one's attack and I curl in on myself, closing my eyes tightly and covering my head as the Eaties roar.

Eventually, the shaking subsides and we all hesitantly stand up, looking around fearfully. I grab the pipe from the ground and once we're sure it's over we head back toward the anxious carnivores. They continue to roast despite the earthquake being over. Big Eatie growls and headbutts her daughter before ramming into the perimeter generated by the drones.

"The earthquake's over," Sammy says just as confused by their behavior as the rest of us. "Why are the dinosaurs still freaking out?"

"I don't know, but they're gonna hurt themselves," Ben responds and I nod, watching them sadly. "We have to shut down the drones," I advise and Yaz makes a noise. "But if we do, won't this place just be like Nublar all over again, where we're never not almost dying?"

"But if we leave them, that makes us a little too much like Kash or the Kons," Ben explains and Brooklynn flashes him a pointed look. "Mr. Kon." I cross my arms and look over at the Eaties just wishing we'd stop fighting over this topic. Who cares! The situation sucks no matter who did what or who's fault it really is.

Sammy clears her throat as an awkward silence settles on our group. "Well, either way, I'm in for dropping them drones." I gesture to the raven haired Texan, glad that someone's talking sense. Let's focus on the big picture. "You go ahead. I'll stay here." I glance at Darius in concern when I hear his voice.

"What?" Yasmina asks and he turns to face us. "It'll take a while to shut the drones down. I'll grab Mae's tablet and try to calm them down while you do." They roar and I walk closer to him. "Good idea. But maybe someone should stay with you," I suggest and look at the back of his head.

I just have a feeling they'll end up talking about Kenji again and I can tell I'm getting close to my limit. Besides, if anyone will understand it'll be Darius. He and I befriended Kenji at the same time. Knew him better than the others. "No, that's okay." He kneels down and I stare at him, hurt that he seems determined to push everyone away.

"I'd rather do it alone." I cross my arms and nod. Brooklynn places her hand on my shoulder and I didn't even hear her come over. "Okay. Send us a message when you get the tablet," she tells him and he nods before turning his attention back on the Eaties. "Stay safe." We turn and race in the direction of the compound.

Once we get inside we go straight to Kash's office, pushing the doors open. "We're gonna go look for phones," Ben says as the pink haired teen heads for the chair in front of the computer. "Let us know when you get in to Kash's computer."

"You won't find one," she tells Yaz as she sits down and I walk over to stand beside her with Sammy on her other side. Ben and Yaz join us. "Mr. Kon is as smart as he is evil. That's how he has Kenji fooled." I feel like I should be agreeing with her, but... I just can't. I've seen so much in the past six months and it has almost completely destroyed my ability to trust others now.

I don't think I'll ever be the same again after what we've experienced. It'll probably take twice as long for new people to gain my trust and now to top it all off someone I really cared about betrayed us! I thought I knew him, so much so, that it became easy to predict his behavior to any given situation. Except, I couldn't predict him throwing us in a room.