▫️Not Mindless Beasts▫️

💞Trinity💞

I sit in the booth with Darius, Ben, and Yasmina as we wait for the others to get back. Brooklynn and Sammy haven't returned from shutting off the camera feed yet, my dad went to look for them. Ben's resting his head on the table top his somber expression matching the rest of ours. If we don't do something then Big Eatie will end up starving herself.

I look over when the doors open and Kenji enters, seeing our crestfallen faces. "Hey. What's… what's wrong?"

"Big Eatie won't eat," Darius explains. "She's missing her daughter."

"Maybe if we could reunite them, she'd feel better. Can you say something to your dad?" Ben asks as he lifts his head off the table and Kenji rubs the back of his neck, looking uncomfortable. I arch my brow questioningly. "About that…" The doors open yet again and our missing friends enter the room.

"Hey. Where were you guys?" My dad walks over to the pool table and leans against it, looking down at his feet as he crosses his arms. The girls stop in front of Kenji and I notice the happy smile on Sammy's face. "We were doing some diggin'—" She begins only for Brook to lightly elbow her and finishes the sentence.

"Into what Kash did to Sammy's fam. Luckily, we ran into your dad, and he told us the good news." Sammy nods with a big smile. "My family's fine, y'all. In fact, all the meat here is courtesy of the Gutierrez Ranch." Yasmina chuckles and as the rest of us smile, relieved that her family is alright.

"That's great, Sammy."

"Your Dad's been helping them, Kenji. I-I don't know how to thank him." I glance over at Brooklynn and see the slight concern in her blue eyes. I don't think she quite trusts Mr. Kon either. Sammy gives him a quick hug and he returns it before they separate.

"Yeah. I mean, my dad's awesome. Maybe that means he'll listen."

"To what?" Brooklynn questions and Kenji breathes deeply before turning to address all of us. "Uh, the island needs investors. He's still doing a big dinosaur fight showcase." My eyes widen and I tighten my grip on my knees as anger fills me. "What?" Darius asks with a shocked tone.

"He can't do that," I exclaim and Ben nods in agreement. "Yeah, he thinks dinosaurs just fight all the time anyway, so why not make money on it?" That's horrible! I shake my head and scoff. "But they're so much more than that!"

"He just doesn't know them like we do," Kenji defends and I meet his gaze. "But if we can show him there's another side to them…"

"Maybe he'll change his mind," Darius finishes and Kenji nods. "If we don't get eaten first," Yaz interjects as she leans back in her seat, crossing her arms. "Do you really think we can get through to him, Kenj?"

"He's my dad. He'll listen." I sigh and try to ignore the hope I see in the neglected boy's eyes. "I hope you're right." The next morning we meet Kenji's dad outside by one of the trees that leads up to the observation platform. I stand beside Sammy as Mr. Kon approaches us. My dad is keeping Mae company.

Darius is getting ready to bring Big Eatie up on the feeding platform and Yaz, Ben, Brook will be luring her daughter towards them. "What exactly is this about, Kenji?"

"Yesterday, you said that dinosaurs were mindless beasts who only know how to fight and kill, but…" He trails off and glances back at us. I give him an encouraging smile and he nods before turning to his dad. "You're wrong, Dad. And if you give me a chance, I'll prove it."

"And how do you plan to do that?" He asks as Kenji walks past him. "Just watch." I climb up the ladder with Sammy and Kon behind me. I crouch down on the wooden platform as Darius and Kenji, accompanied by a BRAD, head for the feeding platform. "Please be careful, Kenji," I whisper to myself and Sammy places her hand on my shoulder in a comforting manner.