▫️High Hopes▫️

💞Trinity💞

"It can't be," Darius whispers as we all stare down at the dim glow in the distance. "Is it?" Sammy asks as if we're not all seeing the same thing. "I'm seeing it too," Brooklynn reassures her and Kenji leans forward. "That is most def a bonfire."

"People. People!" Sammy exclaims in excitement. "Someone got our SOS signal."

"Or someone is up to no good," I whisper to myself as the others are too high on glee at the prospect of leaving here to listen to me. "Let's go find them. It's time to go home!" They laugh and I shake my head, but walk back over to the table, grabbing my spear.

The others grab their own weapons and we climb down the ladder. "And where do you think you all are going?" Dad questions as we hit the ground and they all start speaking at once. "Whoa! Whoa! Slow down. Darius, what's going on?"

"Someone started a fire and we're going to find them. It could be a rescue team."

"Okay, let's go." He throws the strap of his shotgun onto his shoulder and we take off into the woods. The others are laughing and giggling, but the last time I let my expectations get too high I was dragged out of a monorail car and nearly dropped to my death.

"Oh, we're almost there. I can feel it."

"Don't get your hopes up, Sammy," my dad calls loudly for us all to hear, but I doubt they're really listening. I look up and put my climbing skills to use. I skillful make my way up the trunk until I'm high enough to see the campfire's glow. "We're getting closer," I call down to them before jumping down.

"Yeah!" They cheer happily minus my dad who like me is keeping his expectations low. We continue running and the next to climb a tree is Kenji much to my surprise. We go back to running. "Come on! We're so close!" Darius calls as he picks up speed though none of them come even close to matching my speed.

"Oh, it's real!" Brooklynn shouts from behind me. "Guys, we're going home!" Ben exclaims from his spot on Bumpy's back. Next to climb up is Darius and we impatiently wait for his update. We catch our breath as Darius drops back down with a dejected look on his face.

"The bonfire, it's gone." Brooklynn gasps and my father sighs, running his fingers through his hair. "What if they left? What if the people who came to save us gave up and we missed our chance?" Sammy asks and we all share looks with each other.

"Listen, that fire had to have been put out by someone, alright. Which means that they can't be that far," Dad reasons and I nod in agreement. Suddenly a roar splits the air and we all cry out in fear, looking around to see if we can spot it.

"Everyone, in formation." Immediately the group starts to form a circle, making sure our backs are to each other so nothing can sneak up on us. "C-could be a really big Compy, right?" Kenji asks with a trembling voice as I tighten my grip on my spear.

"Darius, didn't you say they were creepo skylarks?" I shoot him a quizzical look as the nerd responds. "I said they were crepuscular." Leaves rustle and twigs snap with a loud crack before something bursts from the undergrowth, snapping its jaws at us causing the group to scream.

"Go, go!" Dad shouts and we take off running, smacking giant leaves aside as the large carnivore roars loudly, chasing after us. I hear Kenji groan and then Sammy cries out. I stop and turn to see them both on the ground. "Sammy!" I race back to them with the rest of the group in tow.

I jump over a log and holding my spear at the ready as Darius helps Sammy to her feet. I hear my dad cock his shotgun and I suddenly remember who I could always count on. I whistle loudly and wait as the others brandish their weapons. I hear a screech and just as the large predator is about to strike a small lithe shape lands on her back, clawing and biting furiously.