Christmas Day

Violet's Pov:

I woke up to the clinking of Woody sucking on his water bottle. I groggily looked at my alarm clock that read seven-thirty in bright red numbers. I settled back down and was about to drift back to sleep when I realized what today was. My mind screamed it's Christmas!

I slipped my glasses on and flung the covers off of me. I stretched my arms out as if I was trying to touch the ceiling as I stared out the window. Snow covered the ground in a blanket of white and icicles hung from the branches of the trees.

I walked over to Woody's cage and opened it up to pet him. I mouthed the words "it's Christmas" to him even though he couldn't understand me. Then I grabbed him and cradled him in my arms. I wanted him to be a part of this special day. Then I opened my door and walked down the hall to my mom's room. But when I got there the door was open and no one was inside.

So I raced downstairs to the kitchen where my mom was pouring herself a cup of coffee. Then she looked up and smiled at me. "Good morning sleepyhead." She said to me.

I blushed lightly. What kind of kid wakes up after their parents on Christmas?

Stephanie took a sip of her coffee before she smiled at me again. "Are you and Woody ready?"

I nodded and smiled before I rushed to our family room. I still couldn't face the living room where grandma took her life so my mom agreed to put our Christmas tree in the family room instead.

Once I got there I stood shocked. Presents littered the floor. More than there usually was in previous years. My mom came up behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I think Santa is making up for the hard times you've been through this year."

I looked on still shocked, unable to move. What was I to do?

"Go on Vi." My mom urged.

A grin broke out on my face and I walked forward. I sat down with my legs crossed at the edge of the present heap and sat Woody next to me. My mom took a seat on the couch and handed me my stocking. It was a light purple with light blue snowflakes on it.

I first pulled out a candy cane-shaped tube filled with Hershey kisses. Then I pulled out an assortment of scratch-off tickets. I was underaged to gamble but I loved scratching these off. Plus my mom could cash them in for me if I won anything. Then I pulled out some gold chocolate coins, plus a box of Nerds.

Once my stocking was empty I moved on to the presents. Not knowing where to start I grabbed a small package in white wrapping paper with blue snowflakes on it. I tear off the paper and reveal a box with wireless earbuds. I've always wanted to try these!

I beam at my mom and show her the box. "Those are nice ones, Vi."

Then I see a package with my mom's name on it. It's the present I wrapped for her. I grab it and hand it to her. It's wrapped in red paper with golden reindeer on it and a tag that read "To: Stephanie, From: Violet."

"You got me a present?" My mom says surprised.

I smile and nod. She places the present on her lap and begins to open it. She pulls out a mug with the words "World's Greatest Mom" on it. It has a tree on it with beautiful pink and purple flowers that surround the words.

My mom smiles and I think I see tears in her eyes as she looks it over. "Thank you, Violet. I love it." She tells me.

I give her a smile before I move onto another present. This one is quite large with fancy gold paper. I tear it open and reveal a heavy wooden box. But my eyes light up when I open it to reveal a giant art set. Each drawer is filled with different writing utensils. Crayons, markers, colored pencils, and shading pencils fill the box.