Family Matters

Violet's Pov:

I was lost in thought while we walked. Nervous about meeting with my family members which felt more like an executive meeting that I had to ace or I would lose my job. But I was thankful that Clem had asked to walk me home. Our hands slightly swung between us as I held onto hers.

I think she could tell I felt uneasy because she let me zone out and have my space. But I couldn't ease the harsh beating of my heart as we neared my house. I could see my driveway from where we were and the red minivan parked there told me that my aunt was already here.

Just as we were about to step onto the porch, I stopped dead in my tracks, pulling on Clementine's arm with a slight tug. Clem turned back to look at me. "What's wrong babe?"

I bit my lip for a few seconds wondering how to put it. "What if they don't like me?" I signed to her.

"What?" Clem asked me puzzled. "What do you mean?"

I bit my lip again. Maybe that wasn't the way to put it. I tried again. "What if everyone thinks I'm weird or that something's wrong with me?" I looked down at my purple shoes. "No one understands me like you."

I felt Clem grab my hands in hers. "Violet, there your family. They love you no matter what."

I still didn't look up at her, still uncertain about entering my house. But Clem reached up and brushed my cheek with her hand before cupping it. "And if they don't like you then there the weird ones. They'd be crazy not to like you." Then she leaned in and our lips met in a quick peck. "Because I sure do." She grabbed my hand again. "I like you a lot, Violet."

I felt my face flush at her words and I knew my cheeks were dusted pink. I didn't have the nerve to sign 'I like you back.' So instead I went to lean up and pecked her on the cheek. But I was surprised when Clem stopped me.

"But it's not just that." She grabbed my hand. "It doesn't matter that you can't talk Vi, you know why?"

I shook my head no and she chuckled at me. "In all honesty, you talk to me all the time."

I stared at her baffled. I don't talk to her. I can barely say I love you. How could I talk to her?

I think she could see my confusion for next she said. "Violet you speak a thousand words in everything you do. And you don't have to talk for me to hear it. I could never explain what I hear when you don't say a thing. The smile on your face lets me know that you need me." She reached up and caressed my cheek. "There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me. The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall." She brushed my bangs out of my eyes and cupped my cheek, pulling us inches from one another. "You say your best...when you say nothing at all." Then she kissed me soft and slow.

When she pulled away I had tears in my eyes. I didn't give her the chance to pull away fully before I wrapped my arms around her neck in a hug. A few tears dripped from my eyes as she hugged back. She was the most thoughtful and amazing girl in the entire world and she was all mine.

We pulled away and I brushed the tears from my eyes. Clementine smiled at me before looking at the front door. "You ready?"

I took in a deep breath before letting it out and I nodded. This was it. No going back now.

I approached the steps and pushed open the door to my house. First thing I noticed was chatter coming down the hall from the kitchen. I stopped halfway down the hall knowing there was more than just my mom in there. But Clem put her hand on my shoulder and urged me on.

I walked into the kitchen and the first person to see me was my mom. "Violet! You're back."

That's when the person she was talking to turned around to look at me. "Violet!? Is that really you?"