Chapter 1: Leaving

A/N: Alright, I'm gonna try this one more time, if it gets deleted I'm done. So, I know Hiccup x Valka is a depraved ship because they're mother and son, but I honestly don't see Valka as Hiccup's mother for many reasons— she willingly left him behind in favor of being with the dragons and living a wild feral life for two decades and never even bothered reaching out to him during the events of the first movie and through the animated series, she no doubt assumed Hiccup became a dragon killer, just like Stoick or any other Hooligan on Berk. And honestly, even if Valka wasn't Hiccup's mother, I'd still ship them because they both crave adventurous lifestyles with dragons, free from the tether of responsibilities on Berk, eager to discover new species of dragons, and just explore the unknown. I know many people won't read this, but I've had tons of readers who want to see this play out because nobody has had the balls to attempt such a pairing like this before; and I'm an author who wants to spice things up, not write the same dull, cliche stories. Anyway, welcome to the madness that's about to begin.

(Normal pov— Isle of Berk)

Hiccup Haddock III was different from your average Viking, everybody knew that painfully well on Berk. And because the heir to the Hooligan throne was not like every other Viking, they bombarded him with scorn, mockery, abuse, and treated him like a jest.

Even from the day, he could stand, he suffered greatly at the hands of his people and the man who he called father, though that word is supposed to hold meaning. Stoick the Vast held no meaning to Hiccup, the boy hated his father because he showered him with abuse, words of hate, disappointment, and shame.

All because he was different.

Hiccup did everything he could to be in proper standing in the eyes of his people and father, he helped forge their weapons and armor alongside Berk's blacksmith— Gobber the Belch, but his labors were spat upon while Gobber claimed most of the credit for forging such fine resources needed to defend Berk from invaders and the dragons who have been raiding all of Scandinavia for three centuries.

He even went as far as creating his own bola launcher to take down the infamous Night Fury, a dragon shrouded in shadow and mystery, no Viking has ever killed one before, and Hiccup was determined to be the first one to kill the beast.

But would that truly make his people accept him?

No, they would doubt him and no doubt claim that the Night Fury was killed by somebody else, somebody who wasn't "Hiccup the Useless."

Gods, Hiccup could hardly wait to fly from this place.

"I can't do it," Hiccup mumbled to himself as he stumbled through the empty paths that weaved in between the huts and houses on Berk, "I can't kill a dragon. And I never will, not for these animals who call themselves men." The hour was late, and any sane person would be fast asleep at this hour of the night, but not Hiccup, he had far too much on his mind. It has been about two weeks since he joined Dragon Training, and with each day his fear of killing a dragon was getting him increasingly close to getting himself killed by each dragon he faced. Hiccup brushed his long auburn hair out of his eyes and stared out at the full moon that hung suspended over the horizon. Berk had everything that the boy wasn't: a tightly knit band of Vikings, who thought that all their problems could be solved with the swing of a hammer, sword, or battle-ax. Almost every night he dreamed of being free from this hell, to be out there, where he wouldn't have to worry about Vikings mocking him, and his father regretting not killing him when he was but a babe.

A dream that was now entirely possible, thanks to his bonded dragon, Toothless. The very same Night Fury he was determined to kill and prove to his people that he wasn't useless. But instead of killing Toothless, Hiccup looked into that dragon's eyes, its very soul, and saw that this dragon was himself— alone, afraid, and an outcast. He could not bring himself to kill the Night Fury, so he released him from the bolas that had entangled themselves around the Night Fury. But Hiccup soon discovered Toothless lost a tail fin because he desperately wanted to prove himself to barbarians who would probably claim somebody else brought the beast down, and not "Hiccup the Useless."