Chapter 3: Revelation

A/N: Alright, this is the last update I'm going to do and then I'm officially taking my break from writing. I've gotten many requests to keep this story updated, so I hope you guys enjoy this one.

(Normal pov)

Valka could not believe her eyes, for years now she thought her one and only son had grown up and became a dragon killer like every other Viking in Scandinavia, and yet here he was, not only a dragon sympathizer but dragon rider as well. This revelation made Valka's heart swell with relief that her son was different from the rest of the Hairy Hooligans and that Hiccup understood the truth about dragons.

"C-Could it be? After all these years?" Valka said with excitement in her tone, realizing that her son was every bit the dragon lover she was! However, her excitement immediately evaporated when she saw Hiccup's face twist into one of confusion and unfamiliarity.

He doesn't truly know her as the woman who gave birth to him.

"How do you know my true name? I never told you—"

Placing a finger on his lips, Valka swallowed a thick lump forming at her throat, she took a deep breath to calm her racing nerves and then spoke. "H-Hiccup, I'm..." she looked into his eyes, his very soul, and revealed herself, "...I'm Valka Haddock, your mother." Hiccup's eyes widened in shock, awe, and disbelief upon hearing this revelation. Taking several steps away from her, Hiccup took the opportunity to look at her, truly look at her, and... the resemblance was uncanny; he inherited her lean physic, he was boar headed like she was, the same hair color except hers was much longer and brushed the back of her legs, and most of all the two of them had so much in common.

"N-No," Hiccup murmured out, "my mother is dead."

Valka approached him with caution and spoke carefully. "I yet live," she reassured him, "I... I have no doubt you have endless questions—"

"Just one," Hiccup interrupted, "why did you leave me to suffer on that infernal piece of rock?" His tone was sharp and demanding, which caused Valka to flinch at his harsh tonne. "Tell me the truth," he demanded, "you owe me that much."

"I... I believed that you would end up like every other Viking; unable to see that dragons aren't ruthless, bloodthirsty creatures," she then eyed the young man she held great affection for, who also happened to be her son, "but clearly I was so very wrong! You... gods Hiccup, you're a reflection of myself when I was your age—"

"No," Hiccup said while shaking his head, "you willingly stayed clear of Berk for all these years because you jumped to conclusions that I was like every other dragon-slaying Viking in Scandinavia, you thought I'd grow up and be like Stoick the Vast? Well, guess what? I'm nothing like them, and I'm glad because I cannot and will not kill a dragon." Running a hand through his hair, Hiccup paced back and forth and then eyed Valka before laughing in disbelief. "How could you leave me alone in a world that wished me dead? Hmm?"

"I didn't know—"

"My childhood was tainted by abuse, beatings, and deprivation of food by both the tribe and my "father" the man who was supposed to protect and raise me! Stoick never has and never will stand as a father to me," Hiccup growled out, "because his only cares are for Berk, those animals who abused me, and finding whatever is causing the dragon raids in Helheim's Gate." He then gestured to Valka with a bitter chuckle. "And you decided that the lives of dragons were far more important than the life of your only son," he then glared at her in a manner that made her tremble in fear, "what kind of mother abandons their child the way you did to me?!"

"Hiccup—"

"NO!" He barked out, causing Toothless and Cloudjumper to wince as the confrontation between their respective riders escalated. "You assumed I was like every other Viking here, and you didn't even consider coming back to see me or even take me with you and away from those... vile people!" Tears began to wet Hiccup's eyes and Valka felt her heart breaking for the agony etched on her boy's face. "I... I can't stay here anymore," Hiccup breathed out, "I can't stay here."