Chapter 5 - Lunch Coffee

Kate Beckett's POV

I came back to my office by 10:30 and I put some of the papers on my desk. I tightened my ponytail and sighed. It was never that easy to answer all personal questions kids often came up with. If I was lucky the personal questions usually was something like what my favorite color was and so on but sometimes it was questions like if I still visited my parents, if I had siblings and stuff. Those questions were always a little too close to home, but I had come up with answers I always went with. Answers which wouldn't lead to further questions about it. Answers which weren't as painful as it could've been. Answers that wouldn't hurt me since I've said them so many times. I ran a hand across my face and sat down behind my desk. I opened the computer and checked how many kids who had gotten called in sick today by their parents. Then I started with the planning, checking the calendar and checking all the annual visits we use to do with the kids. My list involved a lot of museums along with a few amusement parks. I was so focused on my work that I didn't hear when someone knocked on the door and went inside, so when a hand set a coffee on my desk I jumped high and looked up at the man in front of me. I put my hand on my chest and took a deep breath.

"Sorry, but I did knock" mr Castle said and sat down in the chair in front of me.

"Mr Castle, have you ever heard of the fact that someone has to answer before you enter when you knock on a door?" I asked with annoyance in my voice.

He looked at me and I could see he had a hard time keeping back from chuckling. I narrowed my eyes at him, he settled down and pointed to the coffee he had put on my desk.

"Brought you the coffee you wanted" he said and I looked at it.

I took it up and put it to my lips, a little skeptical he had gotten it right. But when the warm liquid went down my throat it was exactly the one I wanted. I sat the cup down and looked at it, there was something written on it. As I looked at it I read 'Principal Beckett' on it. I looked up at him and I saw him watching my every move.

"Principal Beckett, was that really necessary?" I criticized with a raised eyebrow.

"Yup, figured you would like it, now, where's that 'thank you' principal?" he asked and I took another sip of my coffee.

"Thank you, mr Castle" I said and he rolled his eyes.

"Why do you keep calling me mister all the time?" he asked and I shrugged sarcastically.

"I don't know, maybe because it's my job" I said like it was obvious.

"It's your job to call me mister?" he questioned and I rolled my eyes.

"You are one of my students parent, so yes, it's my job" I explained and I looked at my computer again.

"You still working?" he asked surprised.

"Yeah, no time to rest here" I said and he gave me a wondering look.

"You never take a break?" he asked and I shook my head.

"Nope, not much time for that" I said and he looked at me with disbelief.

"You know, you should really get out of here. You gotta have some lunch time, right?" he said and without really thinking I nodded.

I immediately froze and cursed myself for my stupid mistake.

"How long and when does it start?" he asked with a small smile on his lips.

I had to admit his smile was kind of cute, but I tried my best to get rid of that thought.

"Not long" I answered and I continued with the planning.