Chapter 16 - Bad news

Rick Castle's POV

I couldn't believe she had said she loved me. I was shocked to hear her confess her feelings for me. I mean, I hadn't doubted she did love me because I could feel it in the way she kissed me, the way she touched me. We had ended up naked on the grass with the blanket over us, and it felt absolutely amazing. The grass was a nice set of cold to the warm weather and I honestly felt a bit like a child again laying there on the ground, feeling the grass towards my body.

"You know, this is perfect" I thought out loud and I felt her smile against my chest.

"Yeah, it is" she sighed and I could hear the joy in her voice.

I couldn't help but smile, smile at how fast this relationship had turned out to be the most perfect and serious one I've ever had. I couldn't believe why I hadn't met her any sooner. We didn't live that far away from each other. So, why hadn't we seen each other?

"I don't know" she answered and that's when I realized I had given my thoughts out into the open. "But I know that if we had met earlier we wouldn't be in a relationship right now" she added and I looked down at her, seeing she was looking up at me too.

"How come?" I asked and she smiled sadly.

"Because for not long ago I didn't trust anybody, I barely trusted Lanie which says a lot" she explained and I 'ooh'ed. "To be honest I wasn't in a very happy place, I've always had the kids and my friends but it wasn't until you came around that I actually started having fun for real" she confessed and I let my hand slid down her body, making her shiver.

"You mean... this kind of fun?" I smirked as I carefully squeezed her bum.

She gasped and hit me in my chest but I could see the grin she had on her face.

"You are a real teenager sometimes" she complained.

"So you keep telling me, but don't forget" I lowered my voice "you were the one coming onto me this time so you're no better yourself" I said and she looked away to hide her blush.

I had no problem with seeing it though, she always tried to hide when she blushed. I loved it when she blushed because she always got those cute rosy cheeks which only made me want to kiss her more than I already wanted to.

"What time is it?" she suddenly asked and I shrugged.

"Don't know, why?" I questioned.

"I just wish this could go on for an eternity, but it feels like we should head back home" she sighed and I sadly agreed.

I didn't let her leave me just yet though, I let my hand land on her arm and pushed her down in the grass beside me. I bent down and kissed her lips before I carefully let my hand land on her belly.

"Castle" she said against my lips.

I stroke the side of her body up and then down and pulled up her leg around me. I could feel her relax and start forgetting the fact that we should be heading home. She almost unnoticeable slipped her tongue into my mouth and started with the familiar but tension-filled dance. That's when her phone started ringing and I grunted. She slowly pulled away and I grimaced when I saw she was going to answer her phone.

"Sorry babe" she said and slipped out of my grip with ease.

I was supposed to be grumpy but hearing her calling me 'babe' made me smile instead.

"Hello?" she asked into her phone and then after listening to the voice on the other side of the phone she turned to me with a frightened expression.

My smile slowly disappeared as the question marks was raising in my head. Who was it on the phone? Why did she look frightened? What had happened?

Kate Beckett's POV