Chapter 25 - Overprotecting

Kate Beckett's POV

"Did you know Bracken will run for president?" Castle asked as I was trying to do all my work as fast as I could so we could talk more about taking down the murderer of my mother.

"Yeah, I found out a few days ago while I was grabbing a coffee. The tv was on and I saw him give a speech about running for president because he was sick of people not doing what needed to be done" I mumbled with an irritated voice.

Not because I was irritated with Castle, not this time at least, I was irritated by Bracken always sucking up and seeming to be the 'perfect senator'. I had heard people in the café saying it was about time he ran for something bigger. That this could do everyone a big favor. I just wanted to expose him for what he really was, a big fat liar and killer.

"Hey, Beckett" Castle broke me out of my thoughts and I looked up at him.

He had his phone up and a devilish smile plastered on his face.

"How about we show the whole country what an asshole he is?" he said and I looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"He's holding a speech in live television tomorrow night, how about we hack into those speakers and let the tape run so that the whole country can hear his confession. With that done, no one can ever say he was wrongly arrested" he said and I couldn't deny I liked the way he was thinking.

His devilish smile was contagious and I felt my own lips curl up into a mirroring one.

"That actually doesn't sound so bad" I complimented him.

"So you think we should do it?" he asked and I nodded.

"Absolutely! One problem" I added and he gave me a questioning look. "Do you know how to hack?" I asked and he 'oo'ed.

"Where are you hacking in to?" a familiar voice asked when the door opened and I jumped from my chair.

"Oh my god, Javi, you can't barge in like that!" I exclaimed and he looked at me before he saw Castle.

"And what the hell are you doing here" he shouted out angrily.

"Javi, calm down" I quickly said as I saw him taking a few daring steps towards Castle.

I quickly moved from behind my desk to stand in between them, keeping Javi from doing anything stupid. He was so close that I had to lay my hand on his chest just to stop him.

"What is he doing here?" Javi asked and I could see his anger increase in his eyes.

"He's back, and what happened before is not his fault so you need to back off" I told him strictly.

"No, no way. He's not allowed to just crawl back and expect everything to be alright again!" Javi outbursted and I pushed him back with my hand.

"That's not your call. Besides it was my fault we broke up, not his" I raised my voice and I sensed the principle in me taking over.

I heard Castle trying to say otherwise but I held up a hand behind me to hush him. If he had tried to say it wasn't my fault I knew Javi would most definitely blame him. I heard Castle's phone beep and I looked at him. He checked it before he turned his eyes to me and told me who it was from.

"Mother just texted me that Alexis was sent home" he said surprised and when I gave him a questioning look he added with a worried voice, "she's sick."

"Maybe you should go home, I'll come as soon as I'm done here" I said and I heard Javi disagree.

"Kate, don't you remember how you just froze? Don't you remember how bad he hurt you?!" he continued to ramble about everything and nothing.