Chapter 18 - Investigation

Kate Beckett's POV

The picture did look familiar, but I didn't want to tell him anything like that just yet. I didn't want to create false hope. Plus I didn't want him to know that this could all be my fault. I hadn't been completely honest to Castle when I said I was going to the school. Well, of course I was going to the school, just not right away. I had gotten into a taxi and gotten home to my apartment where I had immediately gone into my bedroom and pulled out the lowest drawer in my shelf. I took out my clothes and opened the small hatch which revealed the small space no one could've guessed I had there. I took out the file of evidence and took a breath trying to calm myself. I opened the file and stared at the pictures together with the information it contained. Why would you go after the ones around me? Why kidnap Castle's daughter? I took out the first witness statement from my mom's murder. What could be in here that you don't want others to see? I read the same text I had read so many times before, the text I had memorized before I finally decided to put it away and only take care of the kids. Maybe that's why he went after Alexis. I looked at the text and then thought about it. Because he knows the kids means a lot to me. And who better to kidnap than the kid of my boyfriend?

"You son of a..." I whispered as I took out my laptop and searched for him.

I searched for the man who ordered the murder of my parents. Senator William H. Bracken. The first that popped up was the conference he was going to hold in three days time. For a second I thought about going there, shaking things up a little and showing him that I wasn't afraid of him. But then I remembered he still had Alexis, and it would be no good to threaten him when he held something so precious. I looked down at the papers again, looked at the photos of the murder scene, at the photos of my dad's 'suicide'. My eyes started to sting but I ignored it and just turned the papers so that I could read the next page. When I was done reading the whole file I took out my phone and opened the image Castle had sent me to take a second look at it. Yes, he did seem quite familiar. Maybe... I took out my laptop again and I searched for pictures with Bracken and I found a picture with him and a few of his secret guards.

"There you are" I whispered to myself as I compared the picture to one of his guards.

He had finally slipped up. Slipped up real bad. I saved the picture to the clouds so that I would be able to reach it from anywhere. That's when I heard a knocking on the door and my head snapped towards the entrance. I silently stood up and walked towards that drawer again, taking out the gun laying inside. I clicked off the safety and started to walk slowly out of my bedroom towards the door. I held up my gun in position in case it would be someone coming after me. I knew very well Bracken could send someone at any time to kill me off for knowing the truth. He had with so many others, I was surprised he hadn't tried to get rid of me sooner. Once I got to the door I didn't look through the hole, I didn't want to notify whoever was on the other side of the door that I was about to open the door. I took a calming breath before I ripped the door open and pointed the gun to the man standing on the other side.

"Whooo!" he screamed and held up his hands to cover himself.

"Ca-Castle?!" I exclaimed and immediately dropped my arm holding the gun, "wh-what are you doing here?" I asked and he looked at me with wide eyes.

"I couldn't stand another minute in my loft without my little girl" he said with a high pitched voice and cleared his throat before adding, "why do you have a gun?"

I looked down at my gun and bit my lip, why hadn't I just looked through the hole before I had opened the door. If I had then he would've never figured out I had a gun until I showed him. If I showed him.

"Kate?" his voice cut off my thoughts and I looked at him.

"Come in" I said and quickly took his arm to pull him inside.