Chapter 10 - You and me

Kate Beckett's POV

"About by the time she was old enough to talk, so maybe two years? Three? Four? I don't remember" Castle answered and I dropped my jaw.

"Don't let the flies get into your mouth" he joked and I shut it.

"And you did it because you wouldn't be able to be home every time she was going to sleep?" I questioned.

"Wow" he said and looked at me with an admiring face.

"What?" I asked even more confused.

"I see a woman who's chosen to become a principal but everytime she opens her mouth to ask a question I can't help but hear a detective's voice" he said with a small smirk and I bit my lip.

"Just answer my question" I said a bit annoyed.

He didn't know it but I had started off my education to become a detective, but he didn't need to know that, neither did he need to know why I stopped. He chuckled at my statement but answered as he continued with the dishing.

"Yes, I spoiled her by telling her stories every night and I knew that she wouldn't be able to sleep without them so I taught her to read since she used to stay up late when I was out just to have me read or make up a story for her. And I knew I wouldn't be able to skip all the book parties I wanted to skip so I decided it was for the best to teach her how to read stories herself" he answered and I looked at him and somehow I saw him differently.

He wasn't only that big, childish, annoying person. He could also be pretty lovable, caring, and just amazing. And the way it felt when he kissed me didn't help either. When I took the plate he held out for me our hands touched and I felt that same feeling I had been thinking about. I dried the last plate and put it where it belonged.

"So, what do you wanna do now?" Castle asked and I shrugged my shoulders. "How about we get to know each other a little more?" he added and I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Sure, what do you wanna know?" I asked and he smiled, took my hand and led me to the couch.

We sat down and he took my hands in his, rubbing small circles with his thumbs. It felt nice, he was so gentle and didn't seem to want to press me or anything.

"You don't have kids, how come? You seem to like them pretty much" he said and I nodded.

"Well, I guess I haven't found 'the one', and I've always wanted to make sure the one I get a kid with will be there 100% of the time. So, I've just had to enjoy the kids at my work instead" I said and he nodded.

He really listened to me, he didn't just pretend, I could see in his eyes that he was really listening, as if he was writing down notes in his mind trying to remember everything I said.

"You haven't searched much though" he more stated than asked.

I gave him a questioning look and he smiled with a confident smile, taking my look as a confirmation to his statement.

"I notice things" he simply said and I raised my eyebrow. "Everyone has a story, and I can't help but feel the need to find them out, and your story" he pointed at me "interests me more than anyone else's has ever done."

A blush appeared on my cheeks and I looked down.

"I'm not that interesting" I mumbled and in my vision I could see him shaking his head in disagreement.

"You are. Your turn, what do you wanna know?" he asked and I looked around the loft.

It was much bigger than I had imagined.