Chapter 22 - Questioning

Kate Beckett's POV

"Where the hell have you been and why aren't you answering your phone?!" Lanie came at me the second I opened the door.

That's when she saw my eyes and I saw the immediate worry fly into her body.

"What happened?" she asked with a much calmer voice before she opened her arms and embraced me in a hug.

The guys stood there with shocked faces before they walked inside and closed the door behind them. I tried my best to keep my tears in as I answered with a shaky voice.

"Nothing, I'm fine."

"Girl you are not fine, now tell us what happened" Lanie demanded as she let go of me and took my hand to drag me towards the couch.

I had no other choice but to follow her and the guys went to get me some tissues before they joined us. Javi handed me a tissue and I declined it, determined not to cry in front of them.

"Kate, tell us what happened" Kevin said and I shook my head.

"Guys, it's nothing. Really, I just feel a little sick that's all" I said biting my inside cheek.

"Come on Beckett, you know you can trust us" Javi said and I flinched at the old nickname they all had called me when we had gone to police academy, "sorry" he added when he saw the flashback playing in my mind.

"Nothing's happened, trust me with this. Please" I begged and they all looked at each other, sharing worried looks.

"You know we can't ignore this Kate, we need to know what happened. You haven't called in sick since you started working, don't you remember all those times the teacher and your boss has had to send you home after a long time of argument about you being 'fine'" she said and made quotations in the air.

"Yeah, so come on, tell us. You know we're family" Javi said with a soft voice.

They kept on pushing me into telling them what happened and I kept on insisting I was fine. I was starting to get tired of this, and without thinking I happened to spill what I didn't want to tell them.

"We broke up okay!" I exclaimed and then I held my hand over my mouth as if I told them something big.

They looked at me with shocked faces.

"What!?" Lanie almost screamed.

"Where was it that he lived again?" Javi asked and both him and Kevin raised with anger in their eyes.

I stood up and grabbed a hold on their arms.

"Don't, it was mutual. It's not his fault" I panicked.

"Why did you agree to end it when it's obvious you love him?" Lanie questioned and I could see she doubted me being a part of the breakup.

"Because it just didn't work out, okay? Don't do anything, it's not his fault" I said and added quietly, "if it's someone's fault it's mine."

"Why would you think that?" Kevin asked and I took a deep breath.

"Stop" I said with a much stronger voice than I had before, "stop investigating in this. Just let it go, I will and so will you."

I could see they got surprised by the change in my voice but to my relief they were silent for a while. I had given them a stare telling them to back off, to not ask any further questions.

"Kate?" Lanie said with a shaky voice and I gave her a death stare.

She got quiet and the guys looked at me. I stood up from the couch and started walking around the room. I heard a whistle sound and I turned towards my phone sighing. Lanie met my eyes and as soon as she saw I knew exactly who it was from she quickly took my phone before I was able to take it and opened it to check my messages.