Chapter 21 - The girls are alright

Kate Beckett's POV

"Alexis? Sarah?" I called out in the changing room.

I tried to hear through all the chatter inside since apparently the store had sale and was filled with people.

"Pumpkin? If you're here could you make a sound?" Castle called out and we both tried to listen carefully.

Suddenly I heard a thump and I immediately turned towards the stall where it came from.

"Alexis? Sarah?" I asked as I opened the door and I felt Castle right behind me.

The sight that hit me made me both relieved and angry. The two girls were tied together on the floor with duck tape over their mouths.

"Oh my god" I exclaimed as I bumped down on the floor and untied their hands. "I'm so sorry" I mumbled and when I was done with Alexis's ties she got up and Castle took her in his arms as I continued with Sarah's.

When I was done she bumped into me, I hugged her before I told her it could sting a bit and removed the tape over her mouth.

"What's going on here?" a woman asked us and me and Castle got eye contact.

I looked at him and he nodded.

"We found our kids, they were kidnapped but they're fine now" I told the woman short and her eyes widened.

"And they were in there?" she questioned and pointed to the stall.

Castle nodded and the woman looked devastated.

"I'm sorry, but we need to go. Get the girls home safe" I told her and she nodded.

"Of course, hope you'll find the kidnappers detective" she said before leaving us and I looked after her shocked.

I heard Castle chuckle a second and when I looked at him he had a small smirk on his face. I told him to shut up under my breath before I took Sarah's hand and started to lead her out of there with Castle and Alexis right behind us.

"Daddy?" I heard Alexis asking and he hummed. "Have you been crying?" she asked and I felt my heart ache.

"No, honey, I'm okay" he answered but I doubted the little girl didn't hear the pain in his voice since she had known him way longer than I had.

"Principal Beckett?" Sarah asked and I looked at her.

"Yes Sarah?"

"Did you cry too?" she asked and I half-laughed at the fact that both girls were smart enough to see through our parade.

"Grown ups stuff, now let's get you home" I heard myself saying.

The rest of the way was mostly small talk. We asking the girls if they were okay, if they were hurt somewhere and what they had been through. When I got a hold of Sarah's parents they thanked me a thousand times when they got their little girl back. I told them it was no problem at all, that it was my job to help my kids. When they had gone away towards their home I turned to the Castles and bent down on my knees.

"Take good care of your dad okay?" I said to her and in my sight I could see Castle getting tears in his eyes again.

"What do you mean?" Alexis asked and I clenched my eyes before opening them again and looking into the little girl's eyes.

"I won't be coming over again, so I'll only see you at school. And since you're such a good girl I won't see your father anymore. But don't do anything stupid on his behalf, can you promise me that? Not to do anything stupid even if he begs you to just to see me?" I asked and I saw her eyes water.