Chapter 26 - Busted

Kate Beckett's POV

Alexis looked between her dad and me while I could do nothing but look at her with my mouth open.

"Alexis, I don't think your father or Katherine are ready to be answering such a question yet, they haven't been together for that long but don't worry sweetie. I have quite a feeling that your question will be answered in a nearby future" Martha's voice broke the spell that made me look at only Alexis.

I looked up at my lover's mother and I felt my cheeks blush as she smiled at me and her son. Castle cleared his throat and I looked at him. He gave his mother a look before he turned to Alexis.

"Pumpkin, you know I go through all the big questions with you before they happen, right?" he asked and she nodded, "then you know you'll be the first one to know when something like that would happen."

I felt a little awkward, I didn't know what I was supposed to do.

"Maybe I should be heading home. It's starting to get dark" I thought out loud but that was immediately shut down with two voices almost screaming 'no' into the room.

Both Castle and Alexis looked at me with fright in their eyes.

"You can stay the night, right dad?" Alexis told me and looked at her dad before she coughed.

"Of course, and you will. No question" he said with a determined voice.

I heard Martha chuckle as she came down the stairs.

"Guess you're making the dinner then because I need to go rehearse on my play" she said and walked to the fridge to get a bottle of water.

"Of course, I forgot you have a play this weekend" Castle said and she hummed as she walked up the stairs again.

Castle bent down and kissed Alexis' forehead before he turned to me.

"You're staying" he said and I chuckled.

"So you're demanding me? Really think you can hold me here?" I asked teasingly.

"You may be the principle and be the boss at school but..." Castle started before he looked at his daughter, giving her a nod.

I looked at her as she smirked and told me.

"But here it's dad who's in charge. Plus I really need you" she added and I narrowed my eyes.

"Since when did you two practice on going up against me?" I asked in a suspicious manner.

"Since dad..." Alexis started but Castle interrupted her.

"Hush, don't tell her our secret!" he exclaimed in played horror.

I couldn't help but laugh and neither could Alexis. Castle walked away towards the kitchen while I stayed put at his daughter's side. Alexis made some place for me so I sat down in the couch beside her small body.

"So how have you been? Except for being a good girl in school" I asked her and she smiled sadly at me.

"Not that good..." she said and when I gave her a face telling her to go on she breathed out, "I've missed you."

My heart broke a little more and I laid my hand on her arm, stroking it carefully.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I had to stay away for a while. But me and your dad are going to work everything out and maybe, when you're older, we can tell you about all of this. Deal?" I asked and her eyes lit up a bit before she yawned.

"That means you'll stay till I'm older? You'll stay forever?" she asked low and sleepy.

I smiled at her question and I leaned down to her ear.