chapter 57 - my remedy

10 Hours Away | Harry Styles AU

chapter 57 - my remedy

Turning my head around, I saw him standing just a few feet away from me. He wore his favorite pair of jeans, brand new Vans, and a white t-shirt that made his strong arms visible for everyone.

Again, he laughed. He tilted his head back and his wonderful laugh made its way towards me. It was louder this time, making it more painful to hear it because I wasn't the reason behind his laughter. No, it was someone else.

I saw him putting his right arm over a girl's shoulder, it almost seemed to happen in slow-motion making it distressing to see. Her auburn hair was pulled back in a ponytail, which he gently pushed away so it wouldn't be stuck in between his arm and her neck.

My stomach turned the moment she looked at him, and he smiled back at her. Seeing only the side profile of her face, I automatically recognized her. This was the girl who had texted him. The girl whom I had looked up on social media.

This was Ruby.

I felt my face getting hot, and myself being on the edge of panic. Quickly I rushed to the ladies' room seeing that his sudden appearance, combined with how he behaved towards her, startled me. I didn't even care to look at the other girls who were exiting the bathroom stalls or fixing their lipstick in front of the mirror because I walked straight into a toilet and locked the door behind me.

My back was pressed against the cold door, and I stared ahead of myself. I had to process what just happened in the arcade hall; Harry was present with somebody else.

Closing my eyes, I tried to control my breathing which wasn't easily done. The harsh reality of Harry being here, knocked me down. Resting my hand on my heart, I felt it beating rapidly.

Harry being here with a girl overwhelmed me because I wasn't ready to see him with someone else. And what killed me the most, is that it looked like we had switched roles; he was okay with our break-up while I wasn't. He had moved on, while I was hiding in a bathroom stall.

I tried my hardest to keep myself from crying, even though I wanted to experience the breakdown. Not because I loved to cry, but because I had been holding back the tears for a long time. Nevertheless, I couldn't give in. Not right now. Not when I was at an arcade hall with my friend... and a date.

After taking a deep breath, I opened my eyes. I tried to convince myself I wasn't allowed to get upset over this since I had broken up with him. This was simply the aftermath I had to cope with, even if it would rip me to shreds over and over again.

Not only did I not have the right to cry because I was the one who ended our relationship, but I was also at the arcade with a date. I had agreed to go on a date with Thomas. Being torn because of Harry's presence wasn't fair for Thomas. He didn't sign up for a blind date with someone who was discomposed because of her ex.

My phone buzzed lightly; Mia had texted me.

Mia: Where are you? We're thinking about going to that new pizza place you went to some time ago. The boys are hungry. Are you coming? We're standing at the bar.

I couldn't be mad at Mia for mentioning the pizza spot Harry and I had been to. She had no idea I was still dealing with my feelings for Harry. Neither was she aware of him being here. Ugh... Tonight wasn't what I had imagined it to be.

Liz: Will be there in a minute :)

Putting my phone away, I realized I couldn't hide in here forever. Thomas was a nice guy and he didn't deserve to have his night ruined because of me. If Harry was able to move on, I could give this new guy a shot too.