chapter 39 - leaving town

10 Hours Away | Harry Styles AU

chapter 39 - leaving town

Not once had I walked so fast to my residence to pack a bag and make my way to Harry's apartment. There was something about his text that caused me to fill with worry. Particularly because we had hardly talked the past few days. It bothered me, thoroughly.

Standing outside on the pavement, I hailed a cab. The chauffeur was kind and brought me to the location I had given him. Looking out of the foggy window, I admired the grand buildings and bright lights which made this city even more enthralling.

I paid the driver and gave him a decent tip. He had driven fast, and I needed to reach Harry's place as quickly as possible. He might hadn't asked me to rush over to his place, but my heart knew he was calling out for me – more than he had ever done before.

Seeing that it was only half past seven, I understood that my concern regarding Harry had caused me to forget about time. However, I wasn't going to stand outside and wait for those thirty minutes to pass. That's why I made my way to the floor where his home was located.

My knuckles hit the door several times before Dylan's face showed up in front of me. The smile that covered his face was both beautiful and yet unsettling; as if he was hiding something.

"Liz." he spoke. "It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, Dylan." despite the way we had ended our previous conversation, I was glad to see him again. Besides Harry, Dylan had become a part of my life in New York City as well.

"Harry texted." I said.

"Yeah, he told me you'd come around." Dylan responded. "Hasn't he given you his key yet?"

"No, we both forgot about it." I informed him. "Where is he?"

"In his bedroom." Dylan answered.

"Thank you." I breathed and walked to the familiar room.

Unlocking the door, my eyes landed on the guy who was positioned behind a desk. Harry's face was illuminated by his laptop screen, seeing that the darkness had settled above the city and there wasn't a light turned on. Instead of saying something to break the silence, I observed him from head to toe. Harry was dressed in a black sweater and denim jeans. His hair was pushed back but somewhat messy. The circles beneath his eyes told me hadn't slept properly in the last few days – something that had started the night I stayed over.

"Harry." I said in a faint whisper.

His usually evergreen eyes didn't glisten with happiness but seemed exceptionally dull this time. Carefully, he pushed his seat back, stood up, and waltzed over to me. His feet touched the soft carpet of his bedroom floor as he approached me in slow, but long, strides.

Harry didn't say a thing. He didn't have to. When my arms wrapped gently around his waist, he lowered his head and nuzzled his face in the crook of my neck. Not only did his body feel heavy against mine while I supported his weight, I knew his heart must feel heavier.

Moving my hand up and down his back, I drew circles against his warm skin and let him relax because of my touch.

"Lay down with me, Harry." I told him.

"I'd like that." he spoke quietly.

Together we laid down on his bed. This time I didn't have my head on his chest, no. He was in my arms as I moved my hand through his chocolate brown hair affectionately.

It didn't take long before he drifted away. His eyes were sealed and by the way he breathed against my skin, I figured he wasn't awake anymore. Knowing he could catch up on some nights of sleep while being in my arms, made my heart flutter.