chapter 38 - no call, no reply

10 Hours Away | Harry Styles AU

chapter 38 - no call, no reply

Sitting on the bench near my apartment, I spotted Carter walking up to me; he held two carton cups filled with hot chocolate. The amusing grin on his face made my mood there and then better. I was ready to unwind after this tumultuous morning.

"One hot chocolate for this lady." he said; handing me my drink.

"Thanks, Carter." I mouthed as I wrapped my hands gently around the cup.

"I'm glad you called, Liz." he mentioned. "I have to say, you've grown a pair of balls."

"That's a compliment, right?" I questioned aloud.

"Most certainly." Carter happily confirmed when he sat back. "You're better off without Mrs. Jones."

The corner of my mouth curled up. I was glad Carter didn't attack me with disappointment but praised my actions.

"Even though I am glad I stepped away from her, I have no idea what this means for my time at the writing program. I must have a mentor." I expressed with apprehension.

"Is it possible to file a document and get yourself assigned to someone else?" Carter brought up before he imbibed his beverage.

"According to Logan, that isn't possible."

"Logan Hill?" Carter asked.

"Yeah, Logan Hill." I confirmed.

"What if you ask him?"

I was jumbled by his words. "Ask him what exactly?"

"To be your mentor."

"Don't be so ridiculous, Carter." I waved him off at once. "He isn't even a mentor."

"He could be." Carter said, shrugging nonchalantly. "Who said he's incompetent to be one? He has been hired by someone to set up a small group; help those who have a hard time putting a story onto paper."

"Thanks for the reminder." I whispered playfully, and he rolled his eyes at me.

"You know that isn't what I meant." he voiced.

"I know, silly." I assured him warmly. "But what if I end up asking him to be my mentor, do you think that will be accepted by someone higher-up?"

"You can give it a try. Maybe Logan knows the right people to solve this problem?" Carter pointed out.

Staring ahead, I admired the beautiful view in front of me. I wasn't able to let this place go – something I didn't think I would ever say looking back at my first months in the city. "But what if he can't help me out?" I questioned, even though I was scared for a brutally honest answer from my friend.

"Don't think too far ahead, Liz."

"You know that's how my brain works." I warned him as uneasiness settled in.

"I know, I know, but it won't give you the solution for the present. First, you've got to talk to Logan about this and see what he can do. And if he can't arrange something, then we go from there. Giving up on your mentor doesn't automatically mean you've got to disappear from New York City. It also shouldn't let you think about saying goodbye to Harry."

"I didn't think about Harry!"

"Oh, don't lie to me, Liz!" Carter objected. "That guy is on your mind the minute you let him."

"Speaking of Harry..." I started, shooting Carter a cheeky smile.

"Something wrong in your love life?" he asked, cocking his head to the left.