chapter 11 - dancing in the dark

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 11 - dancing in the dark

Despite my better judgement, I texted Harry back.

Liz: sure.

In addition to that, I also sent him my live location.

Harry: I'm on my way.

It took me a moment to process what was happening – he was going to pick me up. Not only did I question my action but I also couldn't understand I had really texted him.

If I wanted to keep my distance then why did I reply back so easily?

With the recent mentor meeting being played over and over again in the back of my mind, he could make me forget all of it. Perhaps he was the distraction I needed more than ever. So I began to look forward to the moment I'd see his face again. It had been a few days since our last encounter.

When he showed up at my apartment it was because I ignored his several calls and texts. I remembered him asking me to text him back, but I never did. Even if I thought about it briefly, I never pulled through – I simply forgot about it on purpose.

The chilly air hit my warm and flustered cheeks as I waited for Harry to arrive. I would lie if I said I wasn't a tiny bit excited to see him again. Then I spotted his car coming closer, despite having seen his vehicle only once.

He promptly parked the car and I took a seat without hesitation. Once I shut the door behind me, I realized he and I were alone. Suddenly, the deafening sound of the bustling streets of New York was gone.

When my gaze met his, my lips slightly parted. His dark hair was pushed back, and he wore a sweater that matched the vivid color of his spellbinding eyes. Somehow, my flesh tingled.

"Hi." he greeted me.

"Hey." I replied. There was a soft tremble in my voice.

"Let's go." was all he said before driving off.

I frequently checked my watch to see for how long we had been driving. I didn't recognize my surroundings and wondered where we were going. But I trusted him so I relaxed in the passenger seat, wiped the fog away and stared out of the window – I looked at the massive colorful billboards on the side of the road. It perpetually bemused me how much money businesses put in advertising.

"Thank you for letting me pick you up." Harry said casually.

I turned my head toward him straightaway.

"I needed to get out of there, so I'm glad you texted me."

"I'm glad you let me." he sounded genuine.

I smiled shortly and looked down at my legs.

"What did you do this morning?" he asked.

"I had to talk to my mentor."

"How did it go?" he queried.

I noticed him pressing on the volume button of his steering wheel – the woman's voice on the radio was disappearing tardily. The sleeve of his sweater was rolled up which exposed his flawlessly tattooed skin.

"Just like the first meeting."

"Really?" he said dolefully – he remembered.

"Yeah."

I started to count the raindrops that hit the window on my side. I would've liked it if he turned on the volume of the radio again.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Harry asked quietly.