chapter 16 - what if you fall

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 16 - what if you fall

There was not enough time for Harry to reply to my answer as we were surprised by both Nathalie and Isaac. Before we could even greet them properly, they began to talk about what they had bought and the people whom they had met while they had been wandering around the flea market. Right now, we couldn't finish the conversation Harry and I had started not so long ago.

When we were almost home, Isaac invited us over for dinner because Nathalie had to get ready for her shift at the diner. I wanted to tell Isaac we were free tonight, but Harry talked before I could. Somehow, I hadn't expected him to refuse Isaac's offer after he happily agreed to go to the flea market earlier today.

Harry thanked Isaac for the invitation and then they said goodbye. Therefore, I was left with Harry in the hallway as Isaac stepped inside his apartment to prepare our dinner.

The atmosphere changed once Isaac wasn't next to us. We were alone in the hallway while we tried not to look at each other. It was only a matter of time before one of us was going to break the silence, but I had no idea how long it was going to take.

I could feel my phone buzz in the back of my jeans, but I wasn't going to get the call.

"Maybe you should pick up." Harry encouraged me.

"It's not important."

"You don't know." Harry pointed out and I couldn't argue back.

Against my will, I removed my phone from the pocket of my tight skinny jeans and looked at the screen of my phone. I couldn't believe Isaac was the one who felt the need to call me right now.

"Excuse me." I said as I walked towards the front door of my apartment. "Why are you calling me, Isaac?" I asked him through gritted teeth – I needed to make sure Harry wouldn't be able to hear us.

"When are you coming inside?" Isaac asked impatiently.

"Soon." I answered him.

"I don't believe you." he said.

"Why not?"

"Are you still in the hallway with Harry?"

"Yes, I am."

"Kiss him goodbye and I'll see you in a minute." Isaac told me sternly before pressing the call away – leaving me with nothing more than a beep.

I walked over to Harry as I was unsure of what was about to happen next.

"Is everything okay?" he asked me.

"Yes. It was just a friend who had a quick question." I waved him off.

Harry nodded as a response instead of saying something aloud.

"So..." he said in a low voice.

I did want to ask him why he had to go, but I couldn't. I was too scared to seem desperate – even if I was feeling utterly desperate at this moment in time.

Did he even want me to ask him a question like that? Would he think I was noisy?

"I bet Isaac is waiting on me." I spoke up as I motioned awkwardly at his front door.

"Yeah, he must be." Harry said quickly. "I'll talk to you later."

"Definitely." I replied.

"Have a good evening, Liz." he said, but I saw how his expression dulled.