chapter 37 - losing my patience

10 Hours Away | Harry Styles AU

chapter 37 - losing my patience

I woke up because of the sound of thunder. The bright flashes in the darkened sky were visible through the icy white curtains in Harry's bedroom. After rubbing into my eyes and awakening myself, I searched for his body next to me. However, it was nowhere to be found; the duvet was pushed back revealing an empty and cold space.

Quickly, I turned to my phone to look at the time; 5 am.

Even though I was exceptionally tired, I couldn't fall asleep without knowing where Harry could be. I slowly pushed the sheets off my body and exited his bedroom. I tried to be as quiet as possible because I didn't want to wake Dylan up.

When I entered the living area, there wasn't a light on. But outside there was.

Harry was seated in the cold air. I debated in my mind whether I should approach him because maybe he wanted to be alone. And yet, I didn't want to go back to my dreams without talking to him first.

With my hands, I gently pushed the door open which led me to the adjoined balcony. The sound made him turn around, and we locked eyes that instant. It was strenuous to see if he had been crying, but his eyes did glisten in the pitch dark.

"I woke up to an empty bed." I said. "Is everything okay?"

"Always, baby." Harry replied and gestured me to come closer.

I sat down on his lap, and I could feel the heath of his skin against mine. I moved my fingers through his beautiful brown hair and pressed a faint kiss against his forehead.

"You sure?" I asked daintily. "You don't sound okay, Harry."

"Just some family stuff."

"Should I be worried?" I stared deeply into his eyes; searching for an answer.

"No, you shouldn't." he guaranteed me, but he couldn't fake his confident tone neither the smile on his gorgeous face. I looked straight through the mask he was wearing right now.

"If you say so." I sighed and wrapped my arms around his neck. I didn't want to argue with him about not being completely honest about what was going on because I didn't know how bad it was. "Do you want to go back to bed?"

"Yeah. I just have to finish this drink first." he explained. The caring strokes of his hand up and down my back soothed me. "You can go back if you want to. It's cold outside."

"I'd rather go back together than lay in bed on my own." I said.

"Then I better be quick." Harry spoke up before taking a giant sip of his drink.

That night, I found it particularly difficult to fall asleep while knowing there was wrong in Harry's life. My mind started thinking about all the possibilities, and I loathed myself for doing that. I couldn't help but feel profoundly worried. I hoped he was willing to open up to me tomorrow.

Around 10 am, I opened my eyes again. This time the thunder was nowhere to be found. And again, Harry was gone, too.

When I turned around to grab my phone, there was a sticky note next to my device. I sat up and looked at the written words on the yellow paper.

I had to run an errand. Will be back soon. You can order breakfast if you want to. It's on me. See you soon.

x Harry

I sighed. His words only confirmed there was a bigger issue going on because otherwise he would've simply woken me up or told me where he was going. Still, I didn't want to question Harry's whereabouts or hidden agenda therefore I made my way to the kitchen while I checked my messages.