chapter 30 - ups and downs

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 30 - ups and downs

Having dinner with Isaac was one of my favorite things to do together. Not because he was willing to pay for our meals, but because he's energetic, hilarious, and deeply invested in our friendship. Whenever we are hanging out, he focuses on me and is genuinely interested in what is going on in my life. Some people often assume he's unduly curious about the lives of others, which is a misconception of Isaac's character.

He slung his arm around me as we exited the restaurant. We might have had three - maybe four - glasses of red wine therefore we were both exceptionally effervescent. It wasn't even 8 pm yet.

While we were on our way home, Isaac took numerous drags from the cigarette that hung between his lips. They were slightly stained because of the bottles of wine we had finished in each other's presence. As we turned around the corner, he peered at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Would you've dated me if you had never crossed paths with Harry?" Isaac asked.

I snorted. "Are you deranged, Isaac?"

"It's just a question, Liz." he said with an evident slur.

"Pfff... Do I have to answer your question?"

"Absolutely. An answer is mandatory."

"Then I have to break your heart, Isaac. I wouldn't have dated you if I hadn't met Harry. I'm deeply sorry for hurting your feelings." I told him.

"I am actually relieved." he said.

"Excuse me? Am I that hideous to you?" I questioned him theatrically.

"You might be?" he replied with a laugh at the end. "No, I'm joking, Liz. You're surprisingly hot."

"Surprisingly hot? That's a first."

"I'm not going to explain myself."

"It's better if you don't." I told him.

"What I wanted to say is; I think it's a good thing we are friends because it would've been a shame if I missed out on your amazing friendship." Isaac let me know, and I embraced him in the middle of the pavement.

"What are you doing?" he asked, taken back by my sudden affection.

"I'm hugging you, fool." I said as I looked up, thankful for his kind words.

Not long after our embrace, we continued our adventurous walk back home. Isaac was busy throwing his keys in the air, which belonged to the lock of the main entrance of our building – he didn't mind to stop after I told him to. Isaac claimed no one would get hurt neither would he accidentally lose his keys, therefore I shouldn't worry.

"Am I seeing this clearly? Is your man waiting for you in front of the building?"

"Huh?" I mumbled and I had a better look at the person who was leaning against the wall. "What is he doing here?" I said aloud as I was confused by his sudden arrival.

"Wasn't he supposed to come by tonight?"

"Yeah. He told me he wouldn't be done until nine." I replied.

"Let's find out why he's here then." Isaac said enthusiastically and started to walk faster to Harry who looked at his phone attentively. "Harry? Harry! Harry!" he called out of him loudly, and I almost wanted to walk away – Isaac didn't know how to be discreet.

"Isaac?" I heard Harry say with a confounded tone when his green eyes locked with Isaac's. But then he spotted me, too. "Liz." he breathed out happily and the corner of his mouth curled up.