chapter 31 - twenty something

10 Hours Away | Harry Styles AU

chapter 31 - twenty something

When my brother and I were young, we celebrated our birthdays together. We'd both invite five friends over, otherwise it would be too crowded and my parents would get crazy.

We would eat cake, receive presents, and always go bowling. Back then I was very competitive seeing that I loved bowling, however, I was a terrible player.

As the years passed by, my brother and I stopped celebrating our birthdays together because it was anything but cool. While he stopped inviting his friends over, I happily continued to do so. Instead of going bowling, we were going to the movies or play laser quest at the city center. Whenever November 17th was around the corner, I was in high spirits.

My favorite birthday was not so long ago. When I turned twenty-one, I desperately wanted to organize a twenty-one-dinner because I thought it was funny to get roasted by my friends – I must say, each of them had written an exceptional commentary about my life. This was also the first time I was surrounded by all my friends at once, and it pleased me they all got along. Throughout the entire dinner, my former best friend sat next to me that night as she shared anecdotes of our humiliating nights out with those around us.

Right now, things were different. Suddenly I didn't have to brainstorm with my friends about what we could do or what day the festivities would take place. This year, I tried not to think of my birthday because I didn't want to upset Mia nor think about my ex-best friend and the plans we once had. Keeping my mouth shut and only sharing this with Isaac and Harry was enough for me. Maybe, a few weeks from now, I'd tell them I had turned twenty-three.

But first I had to deal with it being Friday the 17th.

Accidentally, I knocked the alarm off from my nightstand when the ringing sound filled the room. To this day, I still had to change the volume of the device because the ear-splitting sound was becoming too much.

The morning sun lightened my bedroom. I sighed as I had forgotten to close the curtains. Sleepily, I rubbed in my eyes before reaching out to get a hold of my charged phone.

The bright screen showed plenty of messages I had received from friends and family members; wishing me all a happy birthday. Because of the time difference, my birthday almost came to an end in Brussels while it was far from over in New York City.

I replied to their kind words and even called my parents. They sang Happy Birthday through the phone and asked about my plans for today. I let them know I hadn't planned anything big seeing that my friends and I were going to attend James Goldwirth's seminar at 11 am. They must have been struck with bewilderment once they heard there was nothing else besides the seminar, but they didn't ask me about it – thankfully.

If one of my parents had questioned me why I had an empty schedule, I had to mention her again. And, just today, I didn't want to explain. I didn't want to justify why I had canceled my twenty-third birthday and wanted to skip it.

We stopped talking about my birthday the moment my brother brought up a new topic. In the back of my mind, I thanked him for the subtle interruption because it withheld my parents to start an unnecessary interrogation.

The call ended after thirty minutes. I let my phone slip from the palm of my hand onto the mattress. I moved my head to the left and peeked through the window to see the towering buildings opposite of mine. As silence took over and my brain displayed memories of my ex-best friend and I, my throat closed up.

"I need to visit you. No, I must visit you." she said when lowering the volume of the sound system she had recently purchased.

"Are you serious?" I questioned and raised an eyebrow. I had just returned from the kitchen with a mug between the palm of my hands.