chapter 28 - you and me

10 Hours Away | Harry Styles AU

chapter 28 - you and me

It was almost 5 pm when I left the jammed library. Since Mrs. Jones wanted me to hand-in a recently developed story, I needed to concentrate. Sitting behind a desk alone was exactly what I preferred right now; my concentration would've been jeopardized if I had invited Carter and Isaac because they would distract me endlessly. Also, I couldn't drag Mia with me to this place since she didn't need to be stuck in a crowded room.

Despite being nearly finished with the first chapter of my new project, I had to take a step back so I could go through all of it tomorrow morning. The deadline for my story was coming closer, and I wanted to be a cut above than before.

The thought of emailing Mrs. Jones already intimated me. I tried to tell myself it would turn out fine, but I wasn't used to a mentor like her. I had no conception of how she would react to my second attempt of persuading her my writing-style was somewhat decent.

As luck would have it, Logan had reached out to me to tell me I could email him my work. I didn't think he'd be interested in reading anything I had written but with my consternation towards Mrs. Jones, he was keen to help me out.

At the end of an entire afternoon filled with words, I felt a rush of excitement stream through my body when Harry's message popped up on my phone – he was exactly what I needed right now.

I had wanted to text him sooner but since I had been too focused on Mia and my story, I had altogether forgotten about it.

Harry: Any plans tonight?

Liz: Not that I know of. . .

Harry: Be ready at 8 then :) x

I smiled at my phone too brightly. People must've thought I was crazy for looking at a text message with so much glee.

Harry: Don't forget to wear something casual!

Liz: I will make sure not to dress for the Oscars

I was never sure how to feel about surprises, but I knew I was exuberant to see Harry later today. Particularly, after Mia and I's talk.

As much as I wanted her to be right, I wasn't certain time was going to be the remedy. Nevertheless, I shouldn't be quick to judge. Perhaps Mia was good at pushing all of this aside in a matter of days or weeks, and then be back to her old self.

Not long after I arrived back at my apartment, I called my brother. He and I had been texting one another frequently, so we would be up-to-date about each other's lives. My brother always told my parents what I was doing or what had happened in the last few days.

There were moments I wanted to tell my brother about Harry, but I didn't. It would be too soon to tell him I met a guy whom I had grown quite fond of. Not to forget to mention, my mother would freak out. She'd automatically assume I would never return home, so I decided to keep my mouth shut. I simply told him I was going to do something fun with a friend.

Once the call was over, I decided to prepare my dinner. Afterward, I would take a quick nap seeing that I was tired – throughout the phone call I had been yawning consistently. Laying down for a couple of hours was a great idea because I didn't want to be sleepy while spending time with Harry.

So after dinner and my quick nap, I got dressed. I followed Harry's demand and chose a casual outfit. I still didn't know what he had planned, so I grew more and more curious over time.

When I looked at myself in the mirror, I did feel a little bad for knowing Mia was having a hard time while I was going to enjoy myself. Although I knew I couldn't do much about the way she felt, I did feel helpless. Mia had always been wonderful to me, but since the tables had turned, I didn't feel like the supportive friend I had wanted to be. Wistfully, there wasn't anything I could do.