chapter 04 - late night therapy

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 04 - late night therapy

I couldn't remember the last time my heart started to race so rapidly after a text. Perhaps when I was seventeen and my crush messaged me I felt the exact same way.

As I opened our conversation, I kept staring at his words because I was thoroughly confused. I guess Mia noticed my absence as we locked eyes and she saw my worried glance.

I knew she wanted to ask me what was going on. However, Isaac and Carter were currently with us so she decided to stay mute.

My eyes looked at the screen.

Harry: I would like to see you again

Even if I wanted to send something back immediately, I also didn't want to come across as desperate. Also, it was impossible for me to stop thinking about the fact it took him days.

After an hour and a half, we put our belongings in our backpacks and headed to the apartment complex. On our way home, we stopped for groceries and Carter bought a huge bottle of rum. We agreed to go to Tom's Pub another time instead of tonight, because we didn't want Isaac to miss his deadline. Mia and I bid the boys goodbye before we entered my apartment.

"Did he text you back?" was the first thing she asked when I shut the door.

"He did." I said.

"It was clear when you stared ahead of yourself. It had to be him." Mia admitted.

I put the heavy paper bags on the countertop. I started to unpack everything and put it either in the fridge or cabinets. I took a deep breath before I grabbed two wine glasses and poured us a drink. Evidently, Mia was going to stay for a while.

"I'm amazed he took so long to reply." Mia pointed out, and I couldn't agree more.

"So am I. He wants to see me again, too."

"Have you replied yet?" she asked.

"No, I haven't said anything back."

"That's good."

"Should I say something right now?" I wondered as I rested against the counter with the palms of my hands. My eyes were drowning in the alcohol I was ready to drink.

"Do you know what you want to say?"

"No." I sighed heavily. I turned around and looked at Mia. "He could've replied sooner, but he didn't. So why does it feel like he's bored and I'm the only one who's left to text back?"

I joined her on the couch and she thanked me for the drink.

"Remember, the two of you didn't sleep together. I don't think it's a booty-call." Mia said. "If you want to, you could ask if he'd like to have coffee soon? It has almost been a week since the two of you met. A casual meet-up wouldn't cause too much of a hassle."

"You're right." I told her truthfully. "I . . . I just barely talk to guys so this is a big deal for me."

"I get that." she assured me.

I pressed my lips together in a thin line and started to bit on the inside of my cheek. "When was the last time you hang out with a guy?"

A chuckle left her mouth and I saw the corner of her lip curl up. "It has been six months since my boyfriend and I broke up. I haven't been with someone else since then."

Mia didn't look at me when she opened up about her past relationship. I guess it was a topic she preferred not to discuss and I was completely okay with that. As much as I did want to ask her what had happened, it didn't feel right to bombard her with millions of questions. But as I stayed silent, she began to speak up herself – something I didn't think she'd do.