chapter 18 - the hardest part

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 18 - the hardest part

Both Carter and Isaac watched me type the message. Their eyes were fixated on the screen that showed our previous texts and the one I was about to send. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be reaching out to Harry any time soon. I was scared to be rejected and hear him say I wasn't someone he wanted to date. However, it was time to make a change.

Once I hit send, I knew I could only wait. Carter and Isaac told me they were proud of me for taking the next step, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Of course, I was amazed by the fact I didn't object at first and casually went along with their idea. Still, I hadn't been in a position like this therefore I didn't know what was about to happen.

Instead of waiting on the couch for a reply, Isaac suggested getting ready. He wanted to jump into the shower and get dressed before we were going to head out. Since I could use a hot shower myself, I agreed to his plans. We parted ways for thirty minutes, so all of us could freshen up.

I did spend more time overthinking in the shower than actually cleaning my body or washing my hair. I wasn't used to texting guys – let alone asking them out. Even though something was going on between Harry and me, neither of us ever confirmed it. It only caused me to wonder if what I was doing wouldn't result in me being hurt.

I applied make-up and dried my hair. Due to the fact there was little time left, I decided to play it safe. I didn't dress up for this night but picked something casual.

Quickly, I turned the lights off and locked my apartment before I met up with both Carter and Isaac in the hallway. It was strange to spend a night together without having Mia by my side. However, it was better to be separated right now. She felt guilty while I had been hurt by her words. It would be a recipe for disaster if we would meet up.

"Has Harry texted you back yet?" Carter asked.

"No, I haven't gotten anything. Maybe he'll text in a few minutes. Let's go to Tom's pub!" I said before we left the building.

In all honesty, I did check my phone more than I wanted to. Despite being consistently disappointed by having nothing, it didn't hold me back.

When we arrived, I was surprised to see how many people were already there. Compared to the previous nights we went to Tom's Pub, this was the busiest.

We maneuvered through the crowd so we could get to the bar. We weren't going to order tequila shot this time – Thank God. But it didn't stop Isaac from another strong type of liquor. I had no idea what the bartender poured in the tiny glasses, but it made my throat burn for sure. Hastily, Isaac ordered a second round so we would get tipsy.

I squeezed my eyes shut as I feel the alcohol slid down my throat once more. "Fuck." I cursed as I put the glass down. "This is strong, Isaac. It's maybe worse than tequila."

"No way. Tequila is without a doubt the most disgusting and dangerous beverage ever." he protested.

"I agree." Carter said.

I rolled my eyes at them. "You guys do this too often."

"We like to prepare ourselves for a good night out." Isaac said.

"Have you heard from your lover yet?" Carter asked me before he asked the bartender for three beer.

"I bet he's busy working on his project."

"That's what they all say." Isaac sang and Carter shoved him away.

"Don't listen to him." he told me. "I hope he replies soon."