chapter 25 - honesty

10 HOURS AWAY | Harry Styles AU

chapter 25 - honesty

"What's wrong, Liz?" Dylan asked.

"It's the writing program." I admitted. "You once told me your mentor was awful to you. And then you said, If someone's an asshole to you, you walk away from them as fast as you can. My new mentor . . . she's cruel, Dylan. I don't think she can ever be a nice person."

"Why does it sound like you want to withdraw from the program?"

"I don't know what I want." I sighed. "I love to write, I sincerely do. But after I met her today, everything just fell apart. I am second-guessing myself; why I am here, what I am doing, why I am a participant of this program."

"I understand why you're questioning yourself, Liz. I did too. However, I can't allow you to drop out." he spoke.

"But you turned out to be a prominent author with a successful career!" I objected.

"That doesn't automatically apply to everyone, Liz." Dylan stated. "Some of us need the writing program, so I think it's a mistake if you discontinue." he added seriously. "I'm not saying you can't make it on your own, because I'm determined you're profoundly talented, but you just entered the second month of the whole course. It's too soon to give up. You might disagree – I am pretty sure you will – but your mentor can become a better person as long as you show progress."

"And let myself be dragged down? Her words were horrid, Dylan."

"I am sure they were. Mentors can be inhuman at times. But you deserve to be here, Liz. I want you to grow because of this program, turn out even better than before, and publish the greatest novel of all time. When I quit, I was extraordinarily lucky. It's not a route you should take after one meeting."

"Then what do I do?" I questioned him desperately.

"You've got to see her again and do what she says, even if you are against it." he said. "I understand if you don't want me to say those words aloud, but it's the best option. You either give up or go through with it. And I don't think you're someone who gives up nor wants to be that kind of person. You're much better than that. Show her she's wrong. Show her your mind can create a brilliant story."

"Okay." I whispered.

"I have faith in you, Liz."

"You do?"

"Of course." Dylan said. "Make sure you do, too."

"I am going to try." I assured him faintly.

Then it stayed silent for a moment.

"Does Harry know about this?" he questioned.

"No, I haven't told him."

"I already thought so." he told me. "Why haven't you, Liz?"

"I thought about it, but I didn't want to spend our first date talking about how dreadful Mrs. Jones is." I explained. "I should've told him, I know."

"For as long as I have known him, he has been a great listener because he focusses on every word you say, to make sure you feel heard. And he would spend hours listening to you if he has to." he let me know softly. "Talk to him, okay?"

"Yes." I breathed out. "I will."

I forced myself to go to the library early in the morning. I decided to walk, so I could clear my mind before locking myself up. I had come to terms with the fact it was too soon to end it, to pack my bags, and move back home. I wasn't going to let one meeting push me away, I had to give it a shot.