Chapter 20-The Parents

‘Honesty is, honestly, the best policy. But when honesty doesn’t work, lie, and lie convincingly’ –Saracen Rue from Skulduggery Pleasant

I laughed, a genuine smile lighting up my face as Penny tried explaining something in her strange style in my living room. Which included lots of hand waving and jumping up and down with a high risk of injury for the innocent onlookers. She was explaining to Caine and Mason the importance of respecting a girl because they had, yet again, pranked her. Penny and Caine had become quite close lately when Adrian and I had been doing tutoring and I could tell that she definitely liked him, I was expecting them to be a couple by the end of the year.

“You just don’t switch a girls shampoo for white glitter paint!” Penny exclaimed, throwing her arm to the side and whacking Jack in the head as he walked past.

“But it was funny,” Caine said with smirk.

“No it wasn’t!” she argued, “Do you know how long it took for me to get it out? Three hours Caine! Three hours!”

“Only three? I might have to up the dosage next time.”

“Next time?! If there is a next time it will be you on the receiving end!” with that she dragged me out of the living room and into the kitchen. She looked very, very angry.

“Do you have any ideas on how to prank Caine?” she asked. I thought about it for a minute before I thought of the perfect idea.

“Follow me,” I said and I led her out into the shed where I picked up a bucket and some rope.

“What on earth are you doing with that?” she questioned.

“If we put the bucket on top of a door attached to the rope and fill the bucket with some revolting substance we can get Caine to walk in the door and when he opens the door the bucket will tip and it's content will spill out and be deposited all over his head.”

“That is perfect!” she exclaimed and we went to work. First we made sure that the boys were occupied on some video game and then we took over the kitchen. Into the bucket went a few litres of milk and about 8 raw eggs, along with a bottle of red and blue food colouring and lots of sprinkles and glitter. The mixture looked horrible. Penny then helped me hoist the bucket up onto the door attached to the rope and we then began the prank.

“Caine!” Penny yelled in fake fear, “Come quickly!” Soon enough the sound of running footprints was heard coming up the stairs.

“Penny, where are you?” Caine asked.

“In here!” Penny replied and I snickered from my position behind the door and Penny was grinning. I watched as Caine came up in front of the mostly closed door.

“What’s wrong?” he asked in a soft voice.

“I-I-“ Penny started but Caine interrupted her.

“Don’t worry, I’m coming in,” he said and then fully opened the door. The bucket was perfectly timed so when he was just under the bucket it tipped and he was covered in our foul mixture.

“You are so gullible!” Penny exclaimed through her laughter.

“PENNY!” Caine roared, the milky mixture dripping down his face and seeping into his clothes.

“Nice,” Adrian said appreciatively, “Whose idea was it?”

“Mine,” I said in reply, “Based off few ideas by Leonardo da Vinci. He was a genius.”

“Only you, fiammella, would know anything about that,” Adrian said.

“Who cares Adrian! I am standing here covered in this…stuff and you are congratulating the mastermind. What kind of a friend are you?” Caine asked incredulously. Before anyone had the chance to say something Adam coughed, drawing our attention to him and Jack.