Chapter 30-Articles or News

'It is a curious sensation: the sort of pain that goes mercifully beyond our powers of feeling. When your heart is broken, your boats are burned: nothing matters anymore. It is the end of happiness and the beginning of peace' —George Bernard Shaw

Adrian POV

I was happily talking to the others when I heard the sound of smashing glass. My head immediately whipped towards the sound and I was shocked when I saw the sight of Ash, she was standing up with her gaze directly on the television. She was focused on the image of someone called Anne May and the look was back. The one where she looked like a brick wall, except that this time her eyes were a myriad of emotions. Anger. Pain. Hurt. Betrayal. Fear. I wondered what she had done to Ash to make her like this, what kind of person she was. My thoughts were distracted when she ran out of the room like all of Hell was chasing her. Everyone left in the room shared a look and I sighed.

"You want me to talk to her?" I asked them in defeat.

"Yeah, but you need to do some research on this Anne May person first," Will suggested. I nodded and went to find the nearest computer.

I mentally thanked whoever created Google because it made my life a hell of a lot easier and I didn't have to got to some library archive for the information. Thanks to Google I now had a few articles on Anne May and each one of them shocked me. I started to read the first article:

Normal Mother, Psychopath?

Just last night Anne May, single mother of one, was arrested on charges of child abuse and attempted murder. At about 11 o'clock last night a neighbour rang police reporting that loud banging noises were being heard and had been going for a few hours. At first they thought it was the television but as it kept going they were getting increasingly worried. Police were on the scene a few minutes later. Inside the house they found that most of the furniture had been broken and so had most of the glass in the house. Upstairs police found May standing over an 8 year old girl with a knife. The girl, later identified as Ashley May, was covered in bruises and cuts and suffered signs of previous abuse. She was rushed off to hospital in a critical condition.

I stopped reading there. I had a strong sense of foreboding when I looked at the next article.

America's Next Serial Killer?

At 11 o'clock last night police received a call for help by neighbours as they heard loud noises from the house beside them. Police found Anne May, a respected member of the community, standing over her young daughter with a knife in the master bedroom. The daughter, Ashley May, was covered in blood and bruises and suffered signs of previous abuse.

It was all the same. Every article outlined what happened to Anne but they barely focused on the daughter. My next Google search was about Ashley May, and if she was the person who I thought she was I wasn't going to like it. I found more than a few good articles on her but only a few were good. The first read:

Child Rushed to Hospital in Critical Condition

Young Ashley May was rushed to hospital after being found by police while being abused by her mother. She suffered several injuries, some of which were a long cut on her back, broken ribs, broken arm, shattered ankle and extensive bruising as well as internal bleeding. After hours of surgery she is now in a stable condition. It is unknown who her father is and she was never seen with any friends.  Residents of her home community say that they ha no clue what was going on in the May home, they just thought that they wee reclusive people and just didn't like to mix with society. Her mother, Anne May, is being charged with child abuse and attempted murder.