Chapter 27-Beach

Penny ( @penaynay12 ) HERE IT IS, STOP PESTERING ME! You have seen what the rest of the book is going to be so stop complaining!

‘Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.’ –Dr. Seuss

Adrian Forsyth deserved to rot in Hell for what he did. Even days later I was still not the same and nobody had done a thing about it, I suppose that they thought that I needed time to myself when all I really needed was someone to talk to. But no one had and now they were all feeling the repercussions. Already today I had snapped at Penny and yelled at Mason for the most ridiculous of things. Of course I felt horrible now but it wasn't really my fault, blame Adrian for bringing up bad memories and slightly cracking my walls. Anyway I had an idea for the rest of the holidays and I just needed to have my parents permission first.

“Father, mother!” I called out into the garden. A few minutes later they walked around the corner.

“What is it sweetheart?” my mother said.

“I was wondering if it would be alright if I took my friends to beach house for a few days,” I asked.

“That's fine Ashley but your father and I had a few questions to ask you.”

“What is you wish to know?” I said, slightly confused.

“Do your friends know anything about your past?” My father started. I sighed.

“They know about Claudia. But I didn't tell them the full story.” I replied.

“Do you trust them?” he asked.

“I do trust them. Most of them at least.”

“Most of them?” he questioned.

“There is one, Will, has been acting strangely lately and I can't help but feel that something is off.”

“Fair enough. What about Adrian? It's clear you feel something for him,” mother decided to add. She was too perceptive for her own good and I couldn’t lie to them, not after all my parents had done for me.

“Adrian is…complicated,” I started, “He is so persistent in finding out what happened and he claims that he is doing it to help me but I don't know what to believe. I've spent nearly all of my life hiding from other people and myself and I don't know what to do. Adrian has done nothing to question my trust, other than breaking into my room, and yet I can't help but feel that he is going to ruin me in the process.”

“Ashley, it sounds as if you like the boy,” my mother said gently.

“I suppose I do,” I mused, “But it will never happen. I'm too broken for anyone. Adrian in particular deserves so much more than what I can offer. You know that I am prone to bouts of violence and anger as well as moments of silence, I'm unpredictable and destructive. Anyone who gets to know me will and up hurt. Take Claudia for example. Nothing anyone can do can change my opinion of myself. All I am is a pretty face hiding an ugly inside.”

My father shared a look with my mother that I didn't quite catch and I frowned slightly.

“Maybe,” my father said but did not elaborate further. After a few minutes of silence my parents left me alone to my thoughts. And think I did.

--------------

All it took was a few words to everyone and we were off to the coast for a few days, ready to soak in the heat of the beach and, apparently, get shown up by Penny as she sweeps us our feet with her surfing brilliance.