Chapter 23- Camp, Part 1

‘Of all the things you choose in life, you don't get to choose what your nightmares are. You don't pick them; they pick you’ –John Irving

Camp. Something I was not sure I was going to like but I had to go as I had promised my friends I would. If the bus was any indication it was certain that I wasn't going to like it, I was currently being squished between Adrian and Caine because the school was disorganized and only chartered one bus to take us to the camp site so everyone was sitting in threes on two person seats. They boys were both talking animatedly about something but I just zoned out as today was one of my ‘bad days’, courtesy of my mother who decided to bring up my… issues. I vaguely saw Adrian giving me a strange look but I ignored him as well as I could. I just needed to be alone for the moment so I pulled out my thick book and started reading.

---

The teaches had outdone themselves, they really had. The campsite was a patch of grass that was a quick walk to some activities to participate in. The teachers decided that ‘the outdoors was good for us’ and that we live ‘a world where we need to something by ourselves and without the help of others’. As if keeping up some kind of social life, outside activities and schoolwork wasn't enough that we had to do. One of the teachers had us stand in a group for our tent mates.

“As you know,” he started, “You will be sleeping in a tent for this camp and you will have to construct it yourself. We have also taken the liberty of pre-assigning everyone a partner to share the tent with.” Everybody groaned at the comment about constructing our own tents but I smirked, I guess that reading every boom I can get my hands on does pay off. Another teacher asked for silence before talking.

“These are your partners students so listen up. When your name is called please come up and collect your tent but do not construct it yet. Chloe and Isla, Millie and Bella, Lucinda and Sarah, Penny and Emily…”

In the end Caine and Will were paired and Mason was paired with a kid called Elliot. On and on she went until there was only Adrian and I left.

“As you can see we have an uneven amount of people so Ashley and Adrian will be sharing a tent, can we trust you two not to get up to any funny business?” Penny coughed from beside me and I turned bright red. I swear that the world hated me, first Disney Land and now this? Penny kept sending me these looks and I glared back ay her, Adrian wasn't missing the looks his friends gave him either and he seemed as annoyed as I was right now. I correct my earlier statement, the world hates both of us.

“You can, Sir,” I managed to cough out and he nodded. At a signal everyone rushed off to find the best spot to build their tent. I stood back and surveyed the site, looking for the best spot to build the thing.

Fiammella,” Adrian groaned, “What are you waiting for? All of the good places are being taken.”

“No they’re not Game Boy, you see that spot over there? That is the perfect spot to set up our tent,” I said.

“But the ground is all soft and covered in plants and….oh.”

“If it's all soft the pegs for the tent will go in easier and we have something softer to sleep on and besides, it isn’t covered by trees so we won't have any plant matter drop onto the tent,” I clarified for him and he looked at me incredulously.

“You are the smartest person I have ever known,” he stated.

“I know, now you are going to build the tent while I watch and laugh at your… lack of prowess.”