Chapter 29-Rooftop Conversations

'Happiness is like a kiss. You must share it to enjoy it' —Bernard Meltzer

"PENELOPE!" Caine roared as he stalked around the house. Penny promptly cringed at her full name and ran behind me in an attempt to use me as a shield.

"What did you do?" I asked her.

"I changed the language on his phone to Russian," she replied with a smirk. I didn't have time to respond as Caine caught sight of Penny peeking over my shoulder. As he got close I stepped to the side giving Caine a clear path to his girlfriend. Penny sent me an accusing glance before she was entrapped by Caine and couldn't move.

"Let me go!" Penny squealed.

"Not until you fix my phone," he said lowly. With that I walked away and straight into the chest of someone, leading to me flat on my back on the floor.

"You alright?" Adrian asked as he offered his hand.

"Just fine," I grumbled and took his hand.

"You still coming to the roof tonight?" he said softly as he pulled me to his chest. The close proximity between us sent my heart into overdrive and I managed to choke out an answer.

"Yes. What time?"

"About nine," he whispered into my ear and then left. I didn't move for few seconds, still reeling from his closeness but when I did it was to collapse into the nearest chair. I contemplated what was going to happen tonight. Was he going to interrogate me about my past? Would he talk about himself? Whisper sweet nothings in my ear as we gazed at the stars? The latter was the most appealing but it was also the least likely. Gods, how I wished that he would leave me alone for a while. Adrian Forsyth confused me and my emotions to no end and I was sick of all the hope that I had. If I had learnt anything it was that hoping for something was detrimental, it only left you with a gaping hole when it didn't happen. That hopes were crushed in mere minutes and nothing could replace them. With those thoughts running through my head I waited patiently for nine o'clock.

———-

Finally the time had come for me to meet Adrian on the roof. To my surprise the ladder was already down so with some trepidation I climbed up. The first thing I noticed was Adrian lying down on a rug reading a book.

"I thought you didn't read?" I called out.

"I don't, fiammella," he said as he put the book down, "I was just trying to see what you found so interesting about it."

"You need a certain mindset to see what I see," I replied as I sat down next to him. "Now what is the reason for this?"

"I thought that it would be good to have some time alone without the constant interruptions that are guaranteed with everyone else."

"It's good to finally have some time alone," I agreed. "Now what do you want to do with all this alone time?" Adrian's eyes quickly darkened with something I couldn't quite read but it was gone moments later and it left me confused.

"How about we get to know each other better?" he suggested, "Despite having spent so much time together we still haven't brushed the surface of knowing each other."

"That sounds like a brilliant idea," I said with a smile, "Let's start with you. How come you are friends with the 'bad boys' but, from what I have observed, you aren't really a bad boy?" Adrian sighed.

"None of us are really bad boys, the closest person to being one is Caine and he is only barely. Each one of us had a similar situation that kind of brought us together and that was how it started."