Chapter 16-The Dinner Party

^ or > is Penny's dress

‘Welcome to your life,

There’s no turning back’ –Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Lorde

The dinner was at the hosts house, about 10 minutes away. The house was a modern mansion and it was bigger than my house for sure, making it perfect for functions like this. Upon entrance I was asked for my name and once they knew who I was they treated me like royalty, making sure to point out where food and bathrooms were as well as some other things that were irrelevant. I had politely declined their requests to show me around and suggested that they go back to the door to welcome guests.

“What was that about?” Adrian asked.

“The joys of having powerful parents, that’s what.” I scowled.

“Don’t look like that, we have to stay pleasant remember.” Adrian pointed out. I took a deep breath and resettled my facial features to make it look like I was enjoying the party.

“Better?” I said. He nodded.

“Much.” Penny and Caine had disappeared somewhere leaving me and Adrian by ourselves. I greeted a few people I knew and introduced Adrian to them but it didn’t take long for me to get bored.

“When do we eat dinner?” Adrian whined.

“We don’t, we just snack.”

“On what?” I pointed to the tables that lined either side of the room.

“On that.”

“But that’s not dinner! It's just snacks. I thought that this was supposed to be a dinner party!”

“Yes. Usually the words ‘dinner party’ around my parents means snacks and a social get together.” I sigh.

“I’m bored.” He stated randomlys.

“So am I. But I've been to more of these than you so I have a game that I always play.”

“Please share it!” he begged.

“Well, you pretty much make up stories about people in regards to what they are wearing.” I blushed, it was kind of ridiculous.

“Sure.” I was stunned, I thought he would laugh at my idea.

“You go first Game Boy.”

“You see that lady over there in the black?”, I nodded, she was wearing a black dress that covered all her arms as well as being long enough to touch the ground and the neckline was quite high, “Her children died a few years ago and she is still in mourning. Her first child died after falling into a wood chipper at factory when he was on a school trip, the second child was mauled by a shark and died from blood loss in her mum’s arms an the third child went missing and the investigation uncovered no clues until her limbs were mailed to her a month later. She went into severe depression after that and has only just got over it and is mixing in society again.”

“Gruesome but an overall good story. My turn.” I said in appreciation.

“Who are you making up a story for fiammella?” Adrian whispered.

“That couple over there.” I said pointing at a young couple near the door. The woman was wearing a baby pink, almost ballgown, dress and the man was undeniably attractive and he was wearing a suit.

“Go on.” Adrian prompted. I took a deep breath.

“So the when the lady was a young child she dreamed of a land where there were no worries in the world, where he parents wouldn’t argue. It would always be sunny and vegetables were banned. The beds would be made of cotton candy and giant gobstoppers were the wheels on the cars and buses. One night a door opened in her closet that led to Faeryland. Every night she would run into this land to escape the yelling of her parents and she would have the most wonderful adventures with the faeries and the mermaids, she was even friends with the elves and pixies. As she grew older her parents were still arguing and it had become worse, yet they still would not divorce. She still continued going to Faeryland and one day when she was 10 she met the Prince, he became her best friend and she confided everything in him, how she hated her life back home and how she wished that she could stay in Faeryland forever. He asked her why she couldn’t do just that and she replied that she would only hurt people back where she lived. He accepted her like no other, back at home the people at school laughed at her and bullied her because she was weak and her parents were becoming quite dysfunctional. As years went by her feelings developed and she began to love the Faery Prince and on her 16th birthday his present was a confession. He confessed that he too loved her and then he kissed her. It was a kiss that could only be described as breath takingly beautiful. He courted her for a few years before finally asking her hand in marriage when she was old enough. She agreed and he returned to the human world with her one day so he could experience her world. Luckily her parents had divorced and her mother allowed her to keep the house because she could no longer live in it. And so here they are today, at this gathering. The Prince and the Princess.” I finished.