10. Butterflies

It was actually still morning when I woke up from my uneasy sleep. My mother and her lover for the night spent the entire time banging or yelling.. or both. So it took me a while to finally fall asleep. Now it is approximately three hours later and I'm woken up by the sunlight pouring in from my window. Why didn't I close the curtains?! 

I roll out of bed and grab my phone. Class starts soon. Since I'm awake I might as well go.

I get up, take a quick shower and put on a black sweater, distressed denim, white sneakers and of course I'm still wearing the chain necklace and rings I never take off.

When I enter the kitchen, to my surprise my mom is awake.. and making breakfast.

"Hey, sweetie." She smiles.

"Hi." I say, a little uncomfortable. I sit down at the table.

"I'm sorry about last night. We couldn't find a motel and we were already nearby, so.."

"So why not bang him with your son in the other room?" I say sarcastically.

"Now, now.. don't whine. I'm making you breakfast, see?" She sounds guilty.

I sigh and get up. It will probably taste bland compared to Aron's food.

Why does my every thought suddenly revolve around that guy?

"Sit down, it's almost done." My mother says.

"I gotta get to school. I'm not that hungry anyway." I walk over to the door.

"Hold on, baby." My mother wraps her soft arms around me and plants a few wet kisses to my cheek.

"Ma!" I yell, completely annoyed.

"Have a nice day, honey." She smiles.

I roll my eyes. She always has to give that smile that makes anyone go weak.

That's why she's so good at her 'job'.  I don't know if you should call stripping a real job but, whatever.

I get out of her grip and open the door.

"Hey, who was that guy that came over yesterday? I've never seen him before. He was kind of cute." She smiles like we're best friends sharing secrets.

Damn. I wish she hadn't seen him. It seemed like she hadn't.

"He's.. just some guy from my class." I say quickly before rushing out the door.

***

I make my way into the classroom. Late, as always.

"Mr. Sky—"

"Yes, I know, I'm late. At least I'm here!" I say annoyed.

"Yes, you are here.. too late. Go to the principals office. And while you're going there anyway, tell him I sent you out of class because of your attitude."

"Oooh.." A few people in class chime in.

"Whatever," I sigh and leave the room.

I put my hands in my pocket and walk, slowly, to the principle's office. As I walk through the quiet, nearly empty hallway, I notice a sound. It sounds like someone is crying.. it sounds familiar. I follow the sound to a quiet space in the cafeteria. There's no one around here. I walk to the hidden little table next to a window and as I thought, the one crying is Chase. He's sat on the floor in front of a little bench, his head in his hands.

"Chase?"

He looks up surprised. When he sees my face he immediately turns away.

"Oh God!' He mutters to himself.