42. My Heart

Aron.

Seven Months Later.

- - -

It's hot today. Too fucking hot if you ask me. That doesn't stop me from wearing full-length pants though. There's nothing worse than seeing men wear shorts.. Then again, it always looked great on Sky. 

Sky.. My heart hurts as I see his face in my mind again. Everything reminds me of him. It's ridiculous and pathetic. We haven't spoken since we broke up. Loren stopped coming to school a few months into her pregnancy and so did Sky. 

I think about them a lot. I wonder if they're a couple now. A family, I should say. Since they have a kid together and all. It hurts so bad to think that. Because even after all these months I still haven't forgotten about him. I try to. So fucking hard, every day but as I said, his face follows me everywhere. 

I know they say the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else... but I just can't. Nobody compares to him. And I'm not someone that hooks up with randos just cause they look good. It just doesn't suit me. 

I'm in my car, on my way to work when I spot a coffee place called 'Long-Cupz'. I've heard a lot about them and I could use some energy. Sleeping hasn't been easy these past few months either. I pull over. 

Why do I have a job when my dad's rich and will buy me anything I ask for? Because I don't wanna depend on him. Since we don't get along and all. 

I walk into the coffee place and it's incredibly crowded. I don't mind. I've got time. 

I wait in line and I do what I always do when I'm in my own head. I wonder what Sky's doing right now. Who he's with. If he's safe. I tried to call and stopped by a few times in the beginning but he never picked up or opened the door. It's like he's a ghost. Gone. It's really hard. Sometimes I drive by his house and I wonder if I'll see him in the parking lot or something. I never do. I know I'm being totally pathetic but I can't help it. When you love someone as specific as Sky it's hard to get over. 

I sigh. Will I ever get over him? 

"Hey, you!" Someone behind me calls. I turn around, already annoyed. 

The guy inches back upon seeing my facial expression. "Um.. you're up." He says quietly. 

Oh. 

I turn back to the counter. 

The guy behind the counter looks a little like Sky from behind. Then again, so does every blonde these days. 

He turns around and his eyes widen in surprise as he sees me. 

It is Sky. 

I feel my face get hot as I look at him. 

Joder, he looks good. 

His hair's a bit longer, just below his chin now, his eyes are sparkly blue as ever and he seems to have gotten back the color in his face. He's even got a little sun tan. I just stand there like an idiot staring at him. 

"Hi." He smiles. 

Jesus. That dazzling smile of his. My memory does it no justice. 

"Hey." I say slowly. Too slowly. What is wrong with me?!

"How's your summer?" He asks casually. 

How can he be so casual? I'm quaking! 

"Yeah, good." I answer dryly. 

He smiles. "You going on any cool vacation?" He asks. 

"No. Not this year, s'why I'm here." I answer. 

"Right." He looks down at the counter. 

Shit, that was too curt. 

Ugh, I missed seeing him look down like that. The way his hair falls over his eyes.. It always made me crazy. 

Sky turns around and works on the coffee for a bit. 

"And you?" I ask, stupidly, knowing full well he's probably gonna be in his mansion with Loren and their perfect little family. 

He turns back to me while the machine does its work. 

"Nah. Maybe next year. I'm pretty busy with.." He trails off.  "You know." He says apologetically. 

I nod. 

A stab. Right in the heart. 

He turns back to the machine. I want to ask more. How he's doing, even how his stupid baby's doing but I can't bring up the courage. 

He turns back to me and places a large cup on the counter. 

"Just a black coffee, right?" He asks. 

He remembered. Oh God, he remembered. 

"Yeah." I answer, my eyes locked with his. 

We stay like that for a while. Him shuffling his feet awkwardly. 

Then I remember I'm supposed to fucking pay him and I grab my wallet. 

"How come you work here?" I ask. 

"A friend of mine works here. He recommended me." He smiles. 

A guy with long curly brown hair comes to Sky's side. His name tag says 'Harold'.

"Yes, and that friend is also telling you there's a line of angry coffee-deprived people waiting." He says to Sky. 

Then he turns to me. "Nice to meet you by the way." He winks and walks back to his own coffee machine. 

Sky looks back at me. I shove him a twenty. 

He opens the cash register to give me the change. 

"Keep it." I say. 

He frowns. "What? Aron, it costs like, eight dollars—" 

"It's for you." I say. 

"T-thank you." He blinks a few times. 

With that I get out of the line and leave the building. 

Back in my car I sit behind the wheel and go over everything that just happened. 

Sky.. he looks so different. So happy. Is this how he feels now that I'm gone? And he wasn't just happy.. he was supremely calm. While I was stumbling over my words and acting like a general idiot he was calm an collected and casual. When did that happen? I thought he'd be worse with him becoming a dad and all but no. 

I grab at my heart. I lay my head against the steering wheel and try to breathe okay. Try to calm down while the blood rushes through me. I try to hold back the tears. I let out a loud scream. 

I pant and sit back in my seat. I grab a cigarette and light it before driving off.