27. Fire

I look at the gun in my trembling hand. And I decide for myself that I won't just let him get away with this. I came here for answers and I'm getting them one way or another. 

I wipe my tears.

Aron comes into the living room and sees me with the gun. 

"What the hell are you doing?!" He screams horrified. 

He rushes to my side. 

I aim it at the door and just then, Neil comes in. 

He's got a black eye and a bloody lip.

He freezes as he looks at the gun pointed at him. 

"Sky.." He says slowly. With that fake kind voice of him. 

"Shut up!" I scream. 

He flinches. 

"Sky, you're not going to do this." He tries to manipulate me. He thinks he still owns me and I refuse it. 

I've never fired a gun before so I could be doing it all wrong and getting myself hurt but I fire anyway. A loud bang fills the otherwise quiet room. 

Neil screams, terrified. 

The bullet hit the little desk beside him. 

I point the gun at him again. 

"Sky, you don't wanna do this—"

I ignore Aron.

"You're gonna listen to me now. And you're gonna answer every question I ask you. Understood?"

Neil nods frantically. 

And I feel good. The power I lost comes back to me with every shiver of his. 

"Why?" I demand. "Why did you do all that stuff to me? Why do you still?" Tears fill my eyes again but I refuse to acknowledge them. 

I'M STRONG I repeat to myself. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." 

A veil of anger covers my eyes and I'm about to shoot but Aron pulls me back.

"SKY!" 

"WHAT?!" I scream at him. 

He's quiet.

I look at Neil again.

"I'm talking about all those years you raped a kid!" I scream. 

"Don't tell me you don't remember! TELL ME THE TRUTH!" 

He just looks at me shocked, his mouth open but no words leaving them.

"ANSWER ME!" I roar. 

He flinches again. 

"I.. I don't know." He stammers.

"Don't give me that bullshit! You do know! TELL ME!" I scream louder than I ever have. It's as if all the years of terror are bleeding out of me now. And I can't hold back. 

He nods insanely. 

"I.. like it, okay?" He says quietly. More to himself than to us. 

I frown confused. I wonder if I heard him correctly.

"Everyone likes something. This is what I like. There are so many things that used to be taboo that are accepted now like.. gays, interracial people. Why can't this be?"

I lower my gun in horror. Is this really how he thinks?

He smiles to himself.

"You were so small. Pure. Even though you didn't know it. How precious young people are. Its something that you never get back. Youth." He keeps his eyes on the ground.