25. Smile

Missed calls (9)

I open my phone app and sigh. 

Chase

Chase

Chase

Chase

Chase

Chase

Chase

Chase

Chase

"Jesus Christ!" I moan. 

Aron sticks his head in the door, his hair still wet from the shower. 

"What is it?" He asks. 

"Chase called me nine times! Why can't that kid just leave me alone!" I whine. 

Aron rolls his eyes. 

"I'll have a talk with him when we get back." 

I imagine that.

"Don't! He'll probably get a heart attack. You're really scary, you know." I say as I check my messages. A bunch from my friends, worrying about where I am.. and one from Chase. 

Please. I need you. 

I roll my eyes. This must be another one of his stupid tricks. I throw the phone on the bed and groan.

Aron walks into the room, just a towel around his waist. 

I admire his perfect body.

He grabs the phone. 

"What are you doing?" 

"Just giving him a little warning." Aron taps on the phone a few times and then holds it to his ear. 

"Sky" I hear Chase from the phone.

"Listen, you little shit. You need to stop calling my boyfriend. He doesn't want you and never did. I get that you're hurt or whatever but you need to have a little fucking respect and back the hell off. You're just being a nuisance so stop calling!" He hangs up. 

"That oughtta do it." He calmly walks back into the bathroom. 

"Harsh, much?" 

"Rip it like a band aid." He says. 

"His heart, you mean?" I chuckle. 

"Whatever." He shrugs. 

***

We're walking up the big hill. The wind is blowing like crazy and the sky is filled with clouds. It's creepy here. And it's cold. I wrap my arms around myself. 

Aron gives me his sweater. 

"Thank you." 

"Sure." He kisses my hair. 

We've reached the front door of the little house. It hasn't changed at all. The door is still wood and I'm sure it still creaks the same freaky way. 

Other people might call this house charming since it looks so cozy.. like a dwarf's house. But I can't bring myself to feel that way. 

I turn to Aron. 

"Will you wait here?" 

"What?" His eyes widen.

"I just... I need to do this alone. I need to confront him on my own, Aron." 

"But you said you needed me to come—"