16. Dear Sister

The stars were stunning that night. We lay in the sand, my head resting on Aron's chest. He stroked my hair. 

There was a campfire right next to us. We'd decided to use it since we were probably going to be here for a while. It had been at least an hour after I told him.

"Now tell me about your ghosts of the past." I mumble. 

Aron begins to smoke. 

"You can't smoke your way out of this." 

"Did you ever get help after what happened?" Aron asks, completely changing the subject. 

"Did you?" I counter. 

He lets out a long sigh. 

I get up. 

"Look, I just told you the worst thing that ever happened to me! If you don't tell me—" 

"Alright. Fine." Aron gets up. 

He sits down on one of the tree trunks around the fire. I sit next to him. 

His eyes go dark again. In the low orange light of the fire he looks really intimidating. 

He looks down at his hands and takes a deep breath.

"It happened two years ago...

I was sixteen and my sister was fourteen. She was beginning to 'grow up' or something. She started wearing makeup and doing her hair different. It drove my dad insane. She started wearing more revealing outfits..

It didn't really bother me. If anything, I thought it was kind of funny. She was trying to be a woman but anyone with eyes could see that she was just a kid. At least.. that's what I thought. And I was sure the guys in her class were too much of a bunch of pussies to try anything. She got into a lot of fights with my dad. He didn't accept her change at all. My dad's the judgiest person I've ever met. He didn't even try to understand. He called her all kinds of names. They were constantly screaming at one another. 

I got involved a lot too. I wouldn't let him talk to her that way. Calling her a slut and what not. He disgusted me. 

"It was around this time I started making friends with some.." Aron searches for the right word. 

"They weren't exactly the best crowd for a teenager to hang out with. It was sort of like a gang." 

He looks into my eyes to see my reaction. 

I try to hide my shock.

He was in a gang?

"I guess I joined them to release my emotions or something. My house wasn't really a home. We were all constantly fighting. I just wanted to stand up.. go against something. We didn't really do anything.. Nothing serious, anyway. We stole some food sometimes. We destroyed some bikes.. 'Petty crime' I guess you could say." He chuckled darkly. 

"My sister was always wondering where I was off to. I left the house a lot. Especially at night. She was a typical rebellious teenager.. so one night she followed me." Aron covers his face. 

He takes a deep breath. 

"The guys were destroying a car that night. They took things to a new level there. I just sat there and watched. I was beginning to find it all a little ridiculous. I was thinking of a way out..

Suddenly my little sister turned up. 

She wore blue distressed skinny jeans, red heels and a red top. 

Even I could see that she looked amazing. Too amazing.

I jumped up. 

"Sofía, what the hell are you doing here?!"