52. Anger

It's the end of the school day and I have to get home and change for work. Aron's right behind me as I make my way through the hallway. Suddenly Loren runs up to me with Rosie in her arms. 

I smile uncontrollably upon seeing my daughter's doll-face. 

"Rosie!" I exclaim excited. 

I grab her little hand. 

"You have to watch her for me!" Loren says. 

"What? It's your turn, I have work!" 

"I know," Loren pushes Rosalie into my arms. "But I have a really important interview! It's about Yale!" 

"Loren—"

"Thank you, I love you! Bye!" And with that, she runs off. 

I sigh. 

Aron joins my side  

"Great. I have work in an hour and my mom's working too. I can't call in sick again or they'll have my head!"

"I'll watch her." Aron says calmly. 

I look at him in disbelief. 

"Seriously?" I ask. 

As much as Aron seemed to like her, it's kind of hard for me to understand why he would want to spend time with the result of my infidelity. 

"Yeah, no problem." He shrugs. 

"So.. you don't mind?" I check again. 

"Sky, I'm just as enchanted by this angel as everyone else. Probably even more since she looks like you. Don't worry, okay?" He smiles. 

I sigh relieved. And then I smile and wonder what I did to deserve him. 

***

I walk into the house after my shift. "I'm home." I say.

No response. I walk further into the apartment and open the door to my room. My heart melts as I see Aron sleeping on my bed with Rose in his arms.

I try not to squeal.

I take my phone out of my pocket and take a picture. A few, actually.

Then I make my way over to them and gently take my daughter from Aron.

She moves a little but she doesn't wake up. She's fast asleep.

I kiss her forehead and put her in her crib.

I walk back to my bed and kiss Aron's forehead. He sighs in a pleased way. I smile and take a shower.

I put on some boxers and lay down next to Aron.

I caress his beautiful face. It feels like I'm spying on him. He's asleep and so different from when he's awake. No fire in his eyes, just peace.

I lean my forehead against his chest and wrap my arms around him. He does the same and pulls me close.

"Aron? Are you awake?" I ask quietly.

No reply. He caresses my back.

"Sky.." He sighs.

I chuckle.

***

I groan as the sunlight hits my eyes the next morning.

"Sky," I hear in my ear.

I open my eyes to a sunlit Aron.

I look at his toned stomach and groan as I once again regret my decision to be abstinent.