Chapter 471-480

Chapter 471: Zhao Jun's Predicament!

For the second match, both mecha which took to the field were balanced special-class mecha. The two contestants had also participated previously in the single mecha combat event, both having managed to make their way into the top 16 there. With roughly equivalent strength levels, it was possible for either side to win.

The First Men's Military Academy attached great importance to this match. If they lost another match, the situation would be grim for them; there would be no room at all for error in the following three matches. On their end, the Third Men's Military Academy viewed this match with even more importance. If they managed to win this match as well, their chances of advancing to the finals would be significantly increased ... as long as there was a chance, no one would be willing to give up, and the Third Men's Military Academy was no exception.

As both contestants were balanced mecha operators, the audience began guessing before the match began — what mode of attack would the two choose? Would it be long range or close combat? Or perhaps first close combat then long range?

At the instant the referee swung his green flag, the two mecha leapt out like tigers out of cages, charging ferociously at the opponent.

In unplanned unison, both fighters had chosen close combat!

With a clang, the weapons in their hands clashed.

There were two major types of attack weapons — one was energy-type weapons like beam sabers, while the other was traditional cold weapons. When both combatants chose to engage in close range, the weapons they chose was also exactly the same: traditional cold weapons.

As soon as the match began, the series of movements both mecha made — from drawing the cold weapons from their backs to clashing violently against each other — were a blur in the eyes of the audience. Many of the spectators were yelling in excitement, awed at the shocking speed of both fighters' operations.

Of course, these only applied to the average audience members; those truly top-class operators were completely calm in comparison. Although the operations of both the fighters on the field were a little better than the average mecha operator, this display was still not enough to amaze them. Only something like Ling Lan's on-the-line operation could move them.

"Clang! Clang! Clang! ..."

On the field, the two combatants were attacking each other fervently. The noise of clashing cold weapons rang out again and again — this intense scene left the audience staring with wide eyes, afraid that they might miss the definitive moment when the outcome would be determined if they even blinked.

Backstage, Qiao Ting, Ling Lan, and Zhao Jun stood to the right of the large screen, opposite the Third Men's Military Academy members who were standing to the left of the screen. They were staring intently at the video feed being played on the screen, mentally analysing the winning chances of both sides.

After staring at the screen for a long time, Zhao Jun felt that his eyes were a little dry and aching. He reeled in his gaze, planning to take a break, and this was when he saw that Ling Lan actually had her eyes closed. He instantly blurted out in surprise, "Boss Lan, you aren't watching?"

Zhao Jun's question drew Qiao Ting's attention and made him turn his gaze around to look at Ling Lan as well. His eyes were questioning too.

Ling Lan replied evenly, "It's nothing much. I just feel that Regiment Commander Mu will win and so did not continue to watch."

Ling Lan's words made the members of the Third Men's Military Academy across from them glare angrily at her. The fighting on the field was clearly on equal ground right now, and that punk actually dared to conclude that they would lose just like that ... this was really testing their tolerance! If not for the fact that they were not allowed to fight backstage, they would definitely have charged over to teach that punk with that irresponsible mouth a hard lesson.