The Fireplace

Remus and Isgur left shortly after they finished their tea leaving Sirius and me alone once again in the house. I stood by the fire with my arms crossed while Sirius remained in his seat.

"I suppose you should write to him?" I ask not looking away from the flames.

"I'll send him a message telling him the time and place," Sirius shook his head as he stood. "I'm certain they will try and intercept if we send a full letter."

"The fireplace?"

"I'm afraid so," he moved to stand next beside me both staring into the flames.

"She could have the channels being watched," I glance at him for a split second.

"A risk I will take," he mumbles. Tapping against the window made us look up to see Hedwig sitting on the window ledge.

"Such a smart bird," I smile at the beautiful creature. Sirius chuckles as he opens the window to allow the bird to fly and perch herself on the table.

"I guess I'll write that message," Sirius sighs while I stroked the snowy feathers of the owl. Sirius quickly found some parchment paper and hastily wrote the message.

"Be careful," Sirius warns the owl as he tied the note to her leg. "There are dangers out there."

The owl blinked at Sirius before giving a hoot, she stretched out her wings and was out the window in the blink of an eye.

"What happens now?" I question not looking away from the flames.

"We wait. And hope that Hedwig delivers the message safely," he answers bluntly. Biting my lower lip, I don't turn when the sound of the stairs creaking under his weight. Harry forming an army?

I didn't see that one coming, I think to myself as I shake my head as I took a seat at the table. I use my wand to summon a scrap of parchment paper and a quill.

Dear Dad, I write as I try to think of something to write to the father that I haven't seen in so long. The father that I have missed. Stop throwing yourself a pity party, Sarah. With a heavy sigh, I begin to write him the bare minimum that I was allowed to put on paper since the fear of him being tortured for information was a recurring torment in my mind. Remus can fill him in on the missing information the next time he visits him. I finish the letter with only a few tears slipping, but I quickly wiped them away like they never appeared, sealing the letter and leaving it on the table the next time that Remus visits.

I don't pay much attention to my surroundings as I climb the stairs. The door was ajar when I made it to the bedroom but I knew Sirius was still awake or at least trying to pretend to be asleep. The man snores like a mountain troll, I roll my eyes.

The night of the meeting came quick, Sirius sat on his knees in front of the fireplace while I sat in one of the chairs at the kitchen table.

"This is very risky," I remind him for what seemed to be the thousandth time.

"You don't think I know that?" he turns around to roll his eyes at me. I scoff before starting to pick at my nails waiting for the time to strike.

"It's time," I inform Sirius who nods before throwing some of the Floo powder into the flames changing the color from bright red and orange to green color.

"Gryffindor Common Room," Sirius says rather loudly before sticking his head into the flames. I watch and listen carefully for anything out of the ordinary in case I had to pull Sirius out.

"Sirius!" someone shouts on the other end, making my heart leap halfway out of my chest.

"Merlin," I huff.