Chapter 53

Caleb's POV

I felt Meti clutch onto me from behind me as the door was kicked down.

I didn't know what was happening outside or what caused my mind links with the others to start failing, but I knew Julian had to be behind it. From losing my link with Kyle and the others, to losing my sense of smell on any of them, something had to be going on that no one seemed to inform me about.

But that didn't distract me from the fight or flight adrenaline that just kicked in within my body. The door literally flew off the hinges and something— or someone came running in like a madman.

Since it was dark in here, I couldn't see who it was and since I couldn't pick up on their scent, I couldn't tell if it was an enemy or if it was someone on our side who came to rescue us.

So me and Meti did what anyone else would've done...

We started throwing punches. Not one, not two, but just full out countless swinging with the last inch of strength we had in us.

"WAIT— HEY! CHILL OUT! STOP SWINGING!" Briar shouted but once I figured out it was that perverted gorilla of a man I swung even harder and even kicked him in the knee.

"I said to stop swinging!" He shouted angrily before gripping my wrist, causing us both to halt our attack on him.

It was two against one so usually that would've given us the advantage over him but since we were weak right now and he was huge, we didn't even stand too much of a chance against him if he fought with us seriously.

"We're under attack right now. The boss sent out a mindlinked alert so I'm tasked with moving you two assholes. Judging by how you broke free from your restraints but still chose to stay here, it just shows that you're loyal to our boss so I won't hurt either of you. Not that I'd want to hurt you cutie." Briar said before winking at me and I almost puked in my mouth.

It wasn't that he was ugly, it was that he was barbaric and just overall an idiot. Like hell I'd be loyal to Julian after all this shit he's done to us. But that just meant that Briar didn't know exactly who was attacking them.

"Yeah yeah yeah. Wouldn't it be safe for us to just stay down here?" I asked yanking my hand away from him and going back to Meti's side.

"I think so too but it's boss's orders and I'm going to follow them. Plus even if we are under attack, I'm pretty much the strongest one here. No mean to brag or anything." He said before flexing his muscles arrogantly.

I rolled my eyes but then saw three figures creep up slowly from the doorway. I squinted my eyes and couldn't really make out who they were until they quietly crept into the room and came closer.

It was Nuru, Diya and Anvi!

They signaled for me to not get them noticed so I decided to distract Briar for them. I mentally gagged and cringed but if it was going to get us out of here I needed to do it.

   "Briar, do you mind if I ummm... touch your bicep before we go?" I asked him in the fakest voice I could do. It didn't sound remotely like me, but even with the room being a bit dark I can tell he lit up enthusiastically, it almost made me feel kind of bad that I wasn't genuinely caring.

   "Well I can't say no to such an honest request from a cutie like you." He said with a slight blush on his face before flexing again.

   The second I touched his right biceps, the girls shifted and pounced on him.

   I closed my eyes tightly and felt Meti's hands cover my eyes while I plugged my ears. I wasn't the type to stomach scenes like this properly and even when they took me along on their hunts, it's been giving me flashbacks to when Kyle fight with Cornelius.

   "The sly bastard just got what was coming for him." My wolf commented as I swallowed some of my own saliva.

   Even though I know what a lot of them did was bad, I can't help but to feel sorry for them. It wasn't anyone's fault but Julian's for manipulating everybody here. It could've just as been me or anyone else. They were just at the wrong place at the wrong time when they stumbled upon him.

   A few minutes later, Meti guided me up the stairs and waiting until we were out of the cellar to remove her hands from my face, which I was really grateful for.

I couldn't tell if they killed him or if they just really really beat the crap out of him, but I didn't want to find out either.

   I squinted and let my eyes adjust to the light before looking over at Nuru, Diya and Anvi. They were covered in blood as I expected and were crying at the sight of us. I must've looked really bad by the looks in their eyes but I also saw relief on their faces.

   They ran up and hugged us both tightly in a group hug, taking my breath away at how strong they were. They had us locked in, almost as if they were scared to let go of us, fearing that something would happen.

I was glad to see them and was happy to be freed from that dark cellar, but part of me wanted to see him more than anything. Their hugs made me feel good despite how touchy they were being, but it was like the only hug I really wanted was from Cornelius.

It was weird but it was probably just my wolf affecting me and our mate bond causing me issues. Even though we haven't bonded fully by mating and having sex, since we've been close enough to bond, him not being by my side these past couple of days has been taking a toll on me.

Mentally and now it's starting to physically affect me. But those side effects will be over soon, I'll see him soon enough. After everything here is over, he'll be by my side again.

I just hoped that wherever he was, he was helping Kyle finally get away from Julian. I knew Cornelius was strong, there was no doubt in my mind that he could probably take Julian down alone, but I also knew that Julian liked to play mind games with people and play dirty.

I started to get worried about Cornelius and Kyle, along with the others but I shook my head and snapped out of my thoughts. They were strong and I believed in them.

We started to go look for where Kyle was being held but then suddenly Meti stopped running.

"Meti? What's wrong? Did you forget something? It wasn't like we brought anything here other than the clothes on our backs to begin with." I told her confused and she shook her head no.

Then what was it? What could she possibly need here?

And that's when I saw her dart of back to the cellar. We waited for her to return and as soon as she did I face palmed.

She held up a lighter that smelled strongly of Briar, meaning she took it out of her pocket, with a huge grin on her face. I'm assuming she wants to burn this place down, which I strongly disagreed with.

"Meti, no. That's bad for the environment and arson never solved anything." I scolded her before sighing.

I think she understood what I said because she pouted and crossed her arms before Nuru picked her up bridal style. Before I could question what was happening, Anvi picked me up too and they all started running in search of Kyle again.

I blushed but I just assume they're carrying us because they thought we couldn't keep up with their speed, given our current states. I didn't say anything since they moved faster when they held us but it was still embarrassing.

I was relieved to be off of my feet though, my entire body was hurting and I felt a little bit dizzy. To be honest I think the adrenaline is the only thing keeping my eyes open, I felt like I could black out any minute.

My adrenaline high was fading and it was fading fast though. All the pain my body felt was returning. My stomach ached, my bones felt heavy, and even with my eyes open and alert, I felt tired.

I suddenly felt my heart sting, and I started to tear up a bit. I hoped Cornelius wasn't hurt.