Chapter Twenty-Eight

When Danny, Drew, Brendan and I all go over to Drew's to hang out, I pretend nothing happened last night. Brendan does too.

"Hey, what's up with you two?" Drew asks, raising his eyebrows and nodding to Brendan and I.

"What do you mean?" I ask casually, looking over at Brendan who sits about two feet away on the same couch.

"You guys won't look at each other, haven't talked to each other, haven't touched each other since you've been here," he says, looking amused. "In a lovers' battle or something?"

"No," I shrug, trying to signal him to shut up with my eyes.

Apparently he doesn't get it because he continues. "Usually you're all over each other when I see you. It's actually weird and awkward to witness this right now."

"More awkward than sitting here while they kiss?" Danny raises an eyebrow. My cheeks go red. I want to protest, but I don't. There's not really anything I can say against that accusation.

"Yes," Drew nods solemnly.

"I can assure you all is well," Brendan says, sliding across the couch and resting his arm over my shoulder. I lean against him to prove whatever point he's about to make. "We just have been feeling like our PDA is annoying in this friendship."

"I agree wholeheartedly while that statement," Danny raises his hand and stands up off his chair.

"Shut up," I roll my eyes.

"You're the one who brought it up," he shrugs, retaking his seat.

"Actually, that was Drew..." I point out.

"Okay, whatever. Don't get sassy with me," Danny says.

"I'm not getting sassy," I cross my arms.

"I'm not getting sassy," Danny repeats, imitating me.

I let out a frustrated breath, rolling my eyes. "Like a child."

"Don't make fun of me," Danny says.

"I'm not making-"

"Yes you are! Just because I have childish habits doesn't mean you have to point them out all the time. It isn't appreciated," Danny tells me.

"Hey Brendan," Drew says across the room.

"Yeah?"

"Don't you think this two sided conversation is pretty awkward for us to sit around and listen to?"

"Stop with all the 'awkward' talk. Not every single thing that happens in this world is awkward!" I say.

"Alright, who forgot to give her the chill pill this morning?" Danny asks.

"Again with the childishness, Danny?" I exclaim, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Again with the insults, Lili?" He replies.

"I am not in need of a chill pill, thank you very much. I just stayed up far too late last night," I say with a sigh.

"Doing what?" Drew asks, smirking.

"I was..." Decorating Brendan's yard. "... at the grocery store."

"You went to the grocery store after I dropped you off at ten?" Brendan turns to me and asks.

"Hey Brendan, why'd you drop her off so late?" Drew asks.

"What could you possibly need at the grocery store at ten o'clock at night?" Brendan ignores Drew's question and keeps his focus trained on me.