Chapter Six

"Welcome back to detention, slackers," Mr. Bennett says, frowning as usual. "I expect good behavior, I'll be helping Mrs. Colhour with her science lab. If I hear a single sound, I'll be referring you all. Clear?"

Everyone blankly nods simultaneously.

He exits and closes the door slowly, watching us all.

When he finally leaves, everyone lets out a relieved sigh.

"The last day," Drew sighs.

"Finally," Brendan lets his head fall backwards.

"This is so stupid," Shelby complains, rolling her eyes.

"Maybe if someone hadn't gone all psychotic and screamed in the middle of class about a breakup, we wouldn't have to be here," Drew says, shrugging.

"Maybe if someone hadn't gone all psychotic and broken up with me over nothing, we wouldn't be in this situation," Missy says, shooting a look at Danny.

"Maybe if someone hadn't gone all psychotic and clingy and demanding I wouldn't have had to break up with her," Danny says with a scowl.

"Maybe if someone-"

"Shut up!" I groan, putting my head in my hands. "Just shut up."

"You can't tell anyone here what to do," Shelby crosses her arms and purses her lips. "You've got no authority here."

"Right," I narrow my eyes. "And you can't tell anyone what to do because nobody respects you so they won't listen."

"You brat!" Shelby lets her mouth fall open in shock.

"Your comments against people are so low on your end and your judgement of people's every movement is bad character. Nobody even cares to hear your opinion anymore," I tell her, feeling irritated.

"Everyone does. Right, Brendan?" Shelby looks at him with a wink.

"Actually, no. You're a real jerk sometimes," Brendan says, looking at her with a blank look.

She opens her mouth in shock.

"You used to be the nicest girl I knew. You used to invite the lonely girls to sit by us-" Drew begins.

"Like Lili-" Shelby blurts out.

"-and then all of a sudden you became a trash talking, selfish brat that only cares about herself," Drew says, looking concerned.

"I still am nice, you know nobody nicer than me," Shelby puts a hand on her hip.

"Yeah, we do."

"Really? Who?" Shelby laughs. "I have no competition."

"Lili," all three boys say at the same time.

"You guys are unbelievable," Shelby cries, standing up from her desk angrily. "I can't believe you're totally trading me out from the random girl that walks into the group and is a jerky suck up."

"If you acted differently it wouldn't have to be this way," Danny says. "Shel, sit down."

"I will not," she says, looking furious. "Not until that girl says she won't hang out with us anymore."

"First off, that girl has a name," I say, rolling my eyes. "Second off, I don't care whether or not you're standing or sitting honestly. Lay on the ground for all I care."

"You are going to be sorry," Shelby hisses before walking off. She slams the door behind her. I can hear the sound of her clacking heels down the hallway.

Mr. Bennett enters the room angrily. "Who just slammed the door?"

"Shelby just left," Danny says.