Chapter Twenty-Four

"Lili, get up!"

I open my eyes, taking a deep breath. The clock in front of me reads 10:30. Successful night of sleep if you ask me.

"Lili, you've got a friend over," my mom calls. "Get down here."

"Who is it?" I tell back, voice cracking.

"It's me," I hear Brendan's voice call.

Well, crap.

I jump out of bed and rush to close the bedroom door. I grab a sweater and jeans from the closet and get dressed faster than I have in a long time. Then I brush out my knotted hair to tame it slightly. It'll have to do. I put on my converse and brush my teeth before heading downstairs.

Brendan stands in my doorway, wearing dark jeans and a grey v neck shirt. He smiles at me when he sees me.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi," I reply, watching my feet on the steps as I walk down. "What are you doing here?"

"I was told to come back today," he shrugs. "And I wasn't doing anything."

"I was," I say.

"Really? What?" He asks, looking curious.

"Sleeping," I shake my head.

"Wow. Sounds exciting to me. Maybe I should leave and let you head back up to bed," he smirks.

"Sounds good. Bye," I say. Then I turn around and start walking up the stairs. I only get up four steps before he stops me.

"I was kidding," he laughs.

"I was too," I turn back towards him and roll my eyes.

"Get down here," he tells me.

"Who do you think you are? My mother?" I ask, walking back down the length of the stairs I had climbed.

"What are you saying about me?" My mom calls from the kitchen.

"That you're super young and awesome," I yell back.

"What I thought," she says.

"So," I rock back on my heels, hands held together. "Do you want to come up to my room to talk?"

"Sure," he nods.

"Leave the door open, Lili!" My mom calls.

We head up the stairs and into my room, sitting in the same position as last night.

"I've thought about what you told me," I say after a moment.

He watches me intently, eyes bright and curious.

"I trust you," I say.

He lets out a breath of relief.

"I know you did what you did for my own good, even though it was not the right thing to do. I can forgive you for it," I tell him.

"Thank you, Lili," he smiles at me.

"I couldn't stay mad at you forever," I tell him.

"I would wait for you forever if I had to," he says to me.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I want your trust more than anything," he tells me.

"I don't understand," I shake my head.

"What is there to not understand? You're important to me," Brendan looks into my eyes, smiling slighty.

"You're important to me too, Brendan. I'm so lucky to have you as a friend," I smile back.