Chapter Fifteen

Everyone stays still, shocked at first. Did he just say...? Is he serious? I watch him carefully, trying to read his expression. In searching for some sign as to why he would do this. He's not even looking at me.

"Was it something I did?" I ask, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He still refuses to look at me.

"What's the matter with you Brendan? What's this crap all about?" Drew stands up, walking over to Brendan looking even more furious than earlier.

"I have reasons," Brendan defends, shaking his head.

"Really? I can't imagine it has nothing to do with us dating and your jealousy," Drew says angrily.

"The photos aren't in on time. I only have one conversation recorded for your entire fake dating thing. We need someone you aren't distracted by and can get stuff done. That's why Mandy's here," Brendan explains.

Mandy looks extremely uncomfortable standing beside him right now. She's looking at her feet, playing with her long locks of hair.

"The stupid photos aren't here on time? Good excuse, Brendan," Drew runs his hand through his hair. "The girl's working harder than you or any of us!"

Brendan glances at me, a look in his eyes unreadable. He looks me over quickly, as if seeing how I'm taking it. Even with as much confusion and sadness I feel, I can't let them see it bothers me so much.

"It's okay," I say quietly, standing up from the couch.

"No, Lili, stay here, we're going to figure this out right now," Drew tells me, grabbing my hand.

"No, really, it's okay," I give him a small smile that I have to force.

"It's not okay, you did nothing wrong," Drew shakes his head. "Brendan, you idiot! Tell her she can stay."

Brendan just watches me with that same look on his face. I turn away from him and start walking towards the door. Drew tries to stop me, but I shrug him off, telling him I'm fine.

"Really, Drew. I'm fine. You go do the article. I'm fine," I say, opening the front door.

"Drew, get in here, we have some things to discuss," Brendan yells from the living room.

"Go," I tell him. "It's okay."

Drew looks genuinely upset by this whole thing. He just looks at me sadly, shaking his head. "I'm sorry."

I try to smile, but I guess all my fake smiles have run out. I look back into the room where Mandy's meeting everyone, smiling and laughing. Danny's already laughing as well. For some reason, the sight stabs at me.

"I should go now," I say quietly, turning away.

"Wait," Drew says, grabbing my shoulder. He pulls me towards him and presses his lips to mine softly. "I'll come over after, okay?"

I nod my head. Then Brendan calls him again. I turn to leave, closing the door behind me. I walk slowly down the stairs and towards the car.

That's when I remember we took Danny's car. I look back, about to go back and ask Drew if he could give me a ride. But I see everyone through the window. Drew is there by Danny, talking to Mandy happily, laughing. Her beautiful smile and perfect hair make my insides burn. I can never amount to that. I decide to leave any thought of getting a ride from Drew.

I start walking down the sidewalk, arms crossed, cheeks pink from the cold. My ears are frozen, my eyes having trouble staying open because of the cold wind blowing at me.

I can't help myself from being sad, no matter how hard I try. It's not even just the fact that I can't do the article anymore. I just didn't think I did anything wrong. I don't understand. It has to be personal.