Chapter Ten

"Hi... I know you're mad at me, but I have nobody else right now," I say quietly, looking at my feet, waiting for a reply.

"You found out I've been right this whole time?" Caleb asks, standing in his doorway with his arms crossed.

"Yes, I did," I nod. "I'm sorry."

"Come in," he says, moving out of the way so I can follow him inside. We walk up his stairs and to his bedroom, which I've known for years. I sit on his chair.

He's waiting for an explanation, I can see the curiosity in his eyes.

"They pretty much befriended me to tear me down in the end," I sum it all up in one sentence.

"What?" He tilts his head in confusion.

"They acted like they were the best friends I could have- no offense-"

"None taken-"

"-and I was so happy that they wanted to hang out with me and stuff. They invited me to help with a magazine article-"

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, Brendan's mom is the editor of some super famous magazine and is doing an article... But anyways, I was all friends with them just like that it all ends because they teamed up and created that stupid video."

"That sure sounds pretty bad," Caleb nods, looking sorry.

"Oh, that's not even the worst part. I still have to help with the magazine because I signed a contract."

"That's unlucky."

"Unlucky? Yeah, get this. I'm being forced to fake-date Drew."

"Are you serious?" Caleb asks. He stares at me in shock, his mouth hanging open.

"Completely," I assure him.

"How? When did that happen?" He asks, drawing his eyebrows together in confusion.

"Just barely. Look, they know what they're doing. It all makes sense," I explain. I look over my shoulder to be positive that I'm not interrupted by any unwanted visitors.

"It makes absolutely no sense at all, none! Are you insane?" He asks.

"I am completely sane, thank you. It's not my idea."

"Your mom is going to kill you," he sighs, running a hand over his face tiredly.

"Only if she finds out. You see, this is the problem-"

"You're kidding me. This is crazy. They can't expect you to go along with that after everything that's happened!"

"I know, Caleb. I know, but there's no other option."

"There's got to be! I, as your best friend, can't let you go through that," Caleb declares.

"You've taken that role again? Am I cool enough for you now?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

"I was just waiting for you to realize how stupid it was to trust the Cheddar Rolls. And look at that, you're back! So, so is our status," he nods.

"That makes no-"

"Stop trying to get off topic! I forbid you from fake-dating that guy," he says, looking concerned.

"I think the contract overrules anything you could say," I tell him, leaning back in my chair.

"Maybe not," he shrugs. "You may not know the power words have."

My phone goes off. I look down at it and see that it's a text from Drew.