Chapter Thirty-Eight

I almost collapse to the ground. I grab the doorframe for support. Who could blame me for being surprised at this? I haven't seen him in over five months. Of course this random visit would startle me.

"Brendan?" I ask, blinking a few times. "What are you doing here?"

He smiles, but lets out a breath. "I transferred."

My eyes widen. "You did what?"

"I guess Michigan State wasn't for me," he shrugs.

I can tell by the look on his face that that's not all he's here for. I don't press him for more. "Your parents are okay with that?

"Not quite," he looks away.

I stay quiet for a while, not knowing how to reply to that. His dad went to Michigan State and had been pushing for Brendan to go there since he was a kid. His mom actually met his dad there. That was the college they had deemed the worthy for their son. I can't imagine their shock when he told them that he would transfer after only a semester.

"It's really good to see you, Lili," he says with a smile. "I've missed you."

I smile back at him. "Oh, come on." And I take him into my arms. His easily wrap around me. He apparently still wears that same heavenly cologne. Or maybe he only wore it on purpose because he knows I love it. Either way, I smile to myself.

"Hey Lili- oh..."

I pull apart from Brendan, and turn to the doorway. Ida and Tim stand there, eyebrows raised, looking between Brendan and I. Both have their mouths hanging open.

"Hey guys," my cheeks go red. "Um... This is Brendan. Brendan, this is Ida and Tim." Brendan nods and they wave.

"Um, well we were just about to leave," I say, stepping out of their way so they can enter.

"Alright, yeah, we'll be here... When you get back," Ida grins at me.

Brendan and I leave the dorm room together, walking outside and down the stairs.

"Where's your room?" I ask.

"First floor," he says. "But I was hoping you'd show me around."

"Sure," I say with a smile.

The courtyard is where we start. The sky is dark like it's about to rain. Of course, I don't let that bother me. We walk up the path way side by side.

"How'd you know where my room was?" I ask him.

"I knocked on everyone's doors hoping to eventually find you," he says. Then he laughs when I hit his shoulder. "Caleb was in the hallway, and he directed me to you."

"Really?" I quirk an eyebrow.

Brendan nods, looking behind us. "What's that place?"

"Food court," I say, looking back as well.

"They have some good stuff?" He asks.

"They've got anything from Chipotle to Taco Bell, if that's what you're asking," I say with a smirk. I know how much he likes Mexican food.

"Sounds perfect," he says with a smile. "And what's that place over there?"

"It has a sign on it."

"I'm practically blind," he says with a laugh.

"Library," I reply, rolling my eyes.

"I'm guessing you spend a lot of time in there," Brendan remarks, smirking at me.

"What makes you assume that?" I ask, quirking an eyebrow at him.

"I know you pretty well, Lili. I haven't forgotten your nerdy tendencies," Brendan laughs to himself.