Chapter Twenty

There are only three days until Christmas and I get to spend those in my bed with my broken self.

People have come to visit, yes, but I still feel like a helpless little doll. I can't do anything.

Drew has come over, so has Brendan and Danny. They talk to me and bring me food and stuff, so that's pretty good.

My head hurts really badly throughout the day. The painkillers don't do much for it. When I even shift in my bed, my insides burn. My arm feels claustrophobic in my casts and it drives me crazy to not be able to use it.

My mom goes to work. She tells me she wants to stay with me every morning. She already missed a week while I was in the hospital. I tell her she needs to go to work. I'll be okay.

The article was sent into Cleare Magazine about five days ago. They told us it would be out with the magazine on Christmas Day. Of course, I'm not a part of the article. I won't be in it. I still want to see how it turns out.

"Can I come in?"

I open my eyes and look towards the door. When I see him, I smile.

"Yes," I reply. "I was wondering when I would get to see you."

Caleb enters the room, eyeing me cautiously. He frowns when he sees my condition.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier. I didn't even hear about this until last night. Are you... Okay?" he asks, looking sad.

"I'm fine, yeah. Just getting used to not being able to move at all. Other than that, I'm good," I say with a dry laugh.

"Sure looks like fun," he laughs.

"Yeah, join the party."

"Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to decline," he shakes his head.

"Rude."

"It's really good to see you again," he smiles.

"You too," I tell him. "We should hang out more often. And I want you to meet the Cheddar Rolls."

"There it is," he sighs.

"What is?" I ask.

"You want me to meet your new favorite friends," he shakes his head, looking at the ground.

"They aren't bad people," I tell him, voice rising. "And they would never be considered my 'favorite' if you wouldn't have shut me out!"

"Look, I don't want to have this argument right now. I just wanted to spend some time with you," Caleb sighs. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Besides the broken bones, bursting headache, and the fact I can't do anything at all, I'm fantastic," I look at him blankly.

"That's the spirit," he smiles.

"Hey, why don't you try spending the Christmas season like this and tell me how enthusiastic you are," I roll my eyes.

"Rather not."

"Lili, can I come-"

Caleb and I both turn towards the doorway. Drew stands before us, eyebrows raised.

"Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt," he says, backing up.

"It's okay, I was just leaving anyways," Caleb says. "Bye, Lili."

"Wait, why don't you stay?" I call to him.

"Sorry, my mom's calling," he yells back and then he's gone.

"What was that all about?" Drew asks, walking up to my bed.

"Nothing, he's just... For mixed feelings still about you all," I tell him.