Chapter Twenty-Two

I'm out the door.

Even though I'm not even supposed to walk, I run. Tears fly off my face as I go. My bare feet are frozen on the cold cement ground. My fingers are numb. All I wear are pajama shirts and a sweatshirt.

Cars honk at me as I sprint across the street without looking.

It isn't wise to be not paying attention to them, especially because I'm almost done healing from being hit by one.

And then I get to his doorstep.

I knock on the door harder than is ethical but I don't care. He deserves it. He deserves to have this door broken off.

He answers the door.

"Hello- oh, Lili, aren't you supposed to be- are you okay?" Drew asks as if he's innocent. I find that funny.

"How dare you," I hiss, voice like venom.

"Lili... Whoa, what happened?" He asks.

I laugh an insane laugh, and I probably look like a crazy person right now. But I don't care. I guess I am a little crazy.

"What happened? Why don't you ask the magazine article," I narrow my eyes at him.

"The magazine article? That was an act, Lili, you know that," he says, looking confused.

"Shut up you freaking liar! I've had enough!" I yell, pulling at my tangly hair.

"What did you see in the article?" He asks, looking pretty afraid.

"Not much. Just some nice conversations you know. You two sound so comfortable with each other," I say with a dry smile.

"Comfortable?"

"Oh, and there was this one picture I particularly enjoyed... The one where you were, what, whispering into her mouth? Giving her mouth to mouth? What's your excuse this time?" I ask, stepping closer to him.

"You don't trust me?" He asks, but his eyes wander from my face.

"How could I, Drew?! You kissed her! There is absolutely no denying it!" I yell.

"I..."

"That's where you spend all your time isn't it? When I text you and ask if you can hang out and you're 'busy?'" I am so close now that we're almost touching.

"Lili," he says, shaking his head.

"No. That's okay. Just lead me on like that. Keep me thinking you feel something for me," I laugh dryly.

"It's not that way. I didn't know I'd end up liking Mandy. I had no idea. But I wanted you too," he says, shaking his head.

"No, I get it. Play with the naive girl's heart. Play the boy of her dreams all the while knowing you're going to break it her little heart. Because that's fun," I yell. "It's a good time for all of us."

"I've always liked you," he says calmly.

"But even if you did, you didn't respect me enough not to cheat on me?" I ask, tears falling down my face.

"I didn't cheat-"

"Oh, he lies too! What a perfect package!" I laugh again, the salty tears dripping into my mouth.

"It's hard to be fake dating someone like her while I'm really dating you-"

"Someone like her? She just made it so tempting to not be loyal to me, your girlfriend? Your average girlfriend. The one that won't live up to that? Oh, right, that's me," I shake my head.